Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Worries-Please Help!

Hi Everyone,

I had my F1 visa interview a few weeks ago and I went there with everything I could bring. From records of farm land to residential plots to my ID card. I had a pretty big looking binder with me. . I had to wait quite a long while till my turn, and by that time only one out of the 4 booths were open. Nevertheless, I went to him, smiling.

Hi and Hellos,

Why are you going to the US? I told him cheerfully, 'To go to college'

What college? I told him about the small college in a state less known for colleges.

He was interested, I told him about the merits of the college and my admission to their very prestigous honors program. And that the location was great for skiing and that I loved skiing. I stressed on the prestige of the Honors program.

He looked at my I-20 and asked who had told me about the college. I told him that it was my councelor, he said 'your councelor knew of a college in thais state? I answered that my councelor had lived in that state.

He then asked my and looked at my scholarship letter, I have a 75% tuition scholarship.

He then had a good look at my SAT scores and transcripts and asked how many siblings I had. I answered that I had 2 sisters. He asked me where they lived and I told him that they lived here with my family and that they are younger than me.

Then comes the tricky bit, he asked me who was paying the remaining costs, I told him that it was my grandfather who was also mentioned in the I-20. He then asked me what my father did and I told him that, after some struggling that he was at a high post at a good local university. He understood me. But then he asked me why my grandfather and not my father was paying and I replied saying that my father does not make that much money. He was unconvinced, and asked me how much my father and my grandfather made, I told him and then he said that both my father and my grandfather were making an almost equal amount of money, so why wasn't my father paying. I told him that my father had only just started making this amount and he was previously making much less money. ( He didn't look at the documents but he could see me looking at the bank slips etc). He asked what my grandfather did before retirement and I answered and said that he'd been saving. He gave me a little laugh.

He typed vigorously and then said to me,
    Your visa is in administrative processing and we'll get back to you later.
    He didn't say if it was accepted or rejected and DID NOT give me any slip or paper of any kind. And then I left feeling very stupid. I thought I could get the visa without a problem.
    Where do I stand with this. Do you think I may be approved? My friend is in a somewhat similar situation. Most people in my S. Asian country are.

Thanks a lot for your help

Unfortunately all you can do is wait.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Alright. Thanks.

Anyone else please?

Comment

Come on people. 45 views and 1 reply?
        Helppp!

Comment

Call VFS and check if there are any updates on your profile?
          but, end of the day you will have to wait for a response from uscis..

Comment

Two weeks after the interview, i got the visa

Comment

Originally posted by SGMakesRain View Post
              Two weeks after the interview, i got the visa
              Congratulations! Well if you don't mind can you please tell me which consulate did you go to for your interview? Also did you give the scholarship letter to the consul officer along with your passport, I-20 and sevis receipt? Or did you give it to him when he asked for it?

I have my interview in less than a week. My program director has written a letter of support for me since my visa was denied the first time about 2 months ago. However, I am not sure if I should submit my letter of support with my passport and I-20 or I should wait for the consul officer to ask me for it? My interview is at the New Delhi Consulate. Any Advice?
              thanks and Good Luck!

Comment

Congratulations SGmakes rain which college did you apply to?

Comment

Plz, do they normal record an interview in embassy..the last time i went for an interview, i told the consular i have a friend there who is currently studying in the school and i got the school through him and am sure he refuse me bcos i have a friend thinking that i wont come back.

Plz can i change my word that i dont have anybody there when next i will go back for the interviews?

Plz assist me

Comment

Yes they usually do. I'd suggest that stick to the same answers but answer in a very positive manner. Tell the consul officer that since you already have a friend there, you have a better understanding of the school and the program. You could also say that you chose the school because the program offered by the school meets your specific needs. Mentioning about any scholarship or funding (if you are offered any) would also help. However, the school that you are going to should be good and accredited and the program that you intent to study must align with your academic background.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Source: personal experience and research

Comment

olive u have been of great help to everyone. i like that. can you pls share ur experience with me about ur first interviiew.

Comment

Originally posted by akcandoit View Post
                        olive u have been of great help to everyone. i like that. can you pls share ur experience with me about ur first interviiew.
                        My very first interview was quite easy since I had applied to a good school, showed proper funds and everything. The consul officer just asked me why I chose the school that I did. He also took a good look at my transcripts and credentials. He asked me what my percentage was in undergrad and He asked me who was going to pay for my education. That's all. He did not ask for any documents except my transcripts. The interview probably lasted for couple of minutes and my visa was approved.

Comment

Thanks a heap olive. We shall all smile at last. In Jesus name .Amen

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X