Social Security for H1 to F1 visa transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Security for H1 to F1 visa transfers

I was on F1 about 11 years ago when I got my Social Security card (back then, the laws were different), after which I went on H1 and obviously, continued to have the same Social Security. Now, I am back on F1 doing my Masters, and I still have the same Social Security number.

Now, I have to change my name on my Social Security because I got married and changed my name on my passport. I am a bit nervous to go to the Social Security office because they need to see my current visa status, and I am concerned that once they see I am on F1 now, they may say that I am not eligible for Social Security and take that away from me.

I have 11 years of credit history, employment history etc on this number and don't want to lose it. I am also currently employed in an internship and don't want to jeopardize that. Can anyone help??

Is there a possibility for this to happen, or will they grandfather my social security number even if I am on F1, since I've already had it for so long??

Thanks!!

They cannot take away a number once it is issued. All you need to do is to get your name corrected in your SS card.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your response! I am just concerned however that the new Social Security card that they issue will say I am not legally authorized to work in the US, since I am on F1 status. I have a paid internship, so I definitely need to have a regular Social Security number.

Comment

On F1, you are definitely eligible to work on CPT.
        All you need is to contact your school and employer to issue a I-120. The school can even help you with all the required documents to produce.

Since, you already have a SSN, it should just be a name correction and as mentioned in the other reply, the SSN once issued in your name cannot be revoked or anything.

HTH

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X