Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding H4 to F1 conversion

Hi,

I am working in U.S on H1b visa. My wife and kids are in H4 visa. My wife got admission for doing Master's Degree in Computer Science. She will join school in August 2011. I would like to know whether she can continue on H4 and complete her Master's Degree or She has to convert her visa into F1. Please inform me which one is more beneficial. My Green card process has started this year on EB2 but I think it will take atleast 3 to 4 years to get my priority date current. Thank you.

Regards,
    RS.

She is allowed to study in H4 status. She may also claim resident fees in some states.
    In F1 status, she must pay non-resident fess but she is allowed to work on-campus and she can avail off-campus practical training.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Hi Kabkaba,

Thank you for the information. I have one more doubt. Can she continue to stay in H4 visa for first two semesters and claim resident fees and during the third semester, change her status to f1 and pay non resident fees ? My doubt is can she change to f1 anytime during her study or she has to change before starting her first semester. She got Lab assistantship during her first semester. Can She work as Lab assistant and get paid while on H4 status. Please inform.

Regards,
      RS.

Comment

She can change status anytime, however she needs to ask the school's DSO if she can get practical training after less than 1 year of F1 status.
        She is not allowed to work on-campus in H4 status.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X