Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change affidavit & news paper ads

Hi

Can some please tell me if NAME CHANGE AFFIDAVIT AND NEWS PAPER ADS Requirement for name mismatch is gone since the consulate outsourced to Travisa.

I do not see this option at all. Will it ever come back. What to do if there is a name mismatch between US and INDIAN passport.

I am worried can someone help me...

Hey it's me again,
    From my experience with Travisa, they do not even look at the name change ads. When I tried getting my name corrected, the consulate told me to do the name change ad and affidavit of name change BS. and when I took it to Travisa they refused to look at it saying it doesn't fulfill the requirement. I had to get a G-24 (Certification of Documents) form from the USCIS office which they accepted after I notarized it.

Just keep shush... They may never notice the error if you apply again with corrected parent's name.

Good Luck!

Comment

Name change affidavit & news paper ads

Thank you again speakamericano. I am planning to keep shush. But there are some more pepole who are interested in the below scenario.

I think your experience is the best to share here. Can you tell us what is G-24Is it something INS provides..is it painful process.

Let suppose from the begining the name in ones indian passport did not match with us docs...viz visa stamp,all INS docs ( while applying for GC), GC and subsequently US passport-to naturalization.

There was no name change process during naturalization coz the same name in GC went into US passport and naturalization doc.

In this case how painful is G-24 process. Do you have to get a lawyer?.

No worries..just gather more information to help people here.

Comment

Originally posted by baagila View Post
        Thank you again speakamericano. I am planning to keep shush. But there are some more pepole who are interested in the below scenario.

I think your experience is the best to share here. Can you tell us what is G-24Is it something INS provides..is it painful process.

Let suppose from the begining the name in ones indian passport did not match with us docs...viz visa stamp,all INS docs ( while applying for GC), GC and subsequently US passport-to naturalization.

There was no name change process during naturalization coz the same name in GC went into US passport and naturalization doc.

In this case how painful is G-24 process. Do you have to get a lawyer?.

No worries..just gather more information to help people here.
        the first 6 posts on this forum mention G-24 form discussion. The form is provided by USCIS specifically for people who do not get name change done but rather drop their middle name or one of the parent's name. Ex... Badri Nath Narayan changed his name to Badri Narayan. US court will not recognize it as a name change, but Indian govt will. So, G-24 comes in handy in that situation. It shows applicant's name as: Badri Narayan...and then it shows the also known as name of the applicant as: Badri Nath Narayan, showing that it's the same applicant.

In your case, you could be issued a G-24 as your name appears to be correct in all the US paperwork, but the Indian passport has ALSO KNOWN AS NAME as the incorrect name. You have to talk to the USCIS.
        There is no need for a lawyer to get involved in this as they can't help you much on the topic. It's better to ignore it and write it correct on the renewal paperwork in 5 years.

Comment

Name change affidavit & news paper ads

speakamericano... I am definitely not planning on doing anything until the renewal. Also, planning on completely ignoring it. Only if OCI points out then I would need a fallback.

In the last few forum discussion i had with you. I have learnt a lot. Never heard of G-24 before great help here.

My guess is that when I renew after 5 yrs mothers name will automatically print from the system which is still my old name. This is because OCI has few columns to fill before renewing.

PS: I do not want to bother you like a woodpecker. You have great patience

below is OCI note.
          ==============================================
          Then, you will need to enter all of the following information:
          Current Passport number
          Date of birth
          Place of birth
          Mother's name ** this needs to match with my old..which will be printed--craps

This information MUST match what you entered in online form when you applied for your original OCI card. Otherwise, you will not be able to proceed. Once this information has been entered, select the desired miscellaneous service. Once you have made your selections, the form will prompt you for the necessary information. Please print and sign this form once it is complete.
          ==============================================

Comment

G-24 is a fairly new document that could be used to avoid the name correction confusion with the Indian consulate. The form itself has been around for a long time, but even I never knew about it. I live in San Jose, CA area and when I went to the USCIS office in San Jose, the immigration officer was super helpful in providing me with the G-24 form. It has the Dept of Homeland Security stamp on it to prove the legality of the document. He told me it should work and if the Indian Embassy is still being a pain in the **** then I should go back to see the immigration officer again at the same USCIS office location.

Luckily the Travisa idiots accepted the document. My concern was a name correction, but the Indian govt must have a name change or a court document even if there's no name change. How stupid can they be. When I was picking up my renunciation from Travisa, this Sikh guy whose name was let's say "Sukhvir Singh" His First name was written as "Sukhvir Singh" and Last name part was left blank. When he came to the US, he used Singh as his last name (COMMON SENSE), but when he went to Travisa, they refused to accept "Singh" as his last name, since it was on the first name section on his Indian passport.

Travisa wanted a court order that said, "I, Sukhvir Singh, have legally changed my name to Sukhvir Singh, starting from today."

There are certain things that are left unclear in the Travisa mess. I don't think they will pay much attention to the parent's name when you re apply for your child's OCI. They usually scan the form that we send them, so if there's any correction. Hopefully it would get unnoticed. or they will fix the error in the next 5 years after learning that there's a thing known as name "correction" everything is not a name change.

Good Luck!

PS. the other immigration forums site that I mentioned, is down again on Firefox. IE crashes a lot on my computer.

Comment

speakAmericano ...thank you and good wishes.

speakAmericano,

This is it! You have helped me a lot. Without you I do not know how I would have addressed my concern. I should thank this forum and you personally.

Is there any place in the forum where I can suggest you are our superHero.Me and my family are greatful to you for your patience and helping nature.

Heartly wishes and all success in you endeavor

Comment

Thank You for the lovely wishes. And good luck with your OCI process in the future.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X