Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reg: F2 to F1 change of status/visa stamping in india

Hi All,

I came to US on F2 visa in Jan 2011. Now I got admission in MBA for Fall 2011. If I go to USCIS for change of status, I have only 45 days before my classes starting date, is this period enough? or is it better to go to Canada/Mexico/India? Also can you please tell me, if F1 gets rejected then can i come back to US with my F2 (it is valid till 2013). Can you please give me your suggestions.

Thank you

Change of status takes time. I am not exactly sure how long (please check the official website) but I would assume somewhere between 2-3 months. If you go for stamping they might cancel your exisiting F2 visa.

Comment

The above is correct. COS is a safer option but even then whenever you leave the US you will need to get F1 Visa at a consulate any way and there is a risk of denial there.
      If COS is not approved by your class start date you may have to defer your admission to the next semester.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

it takes about 3 months to get a status change in the US..i went to ottawa to get my F2 to F1..i got the passport the next day with a 5 yr valid visa..however there were 30 ppl who were interviewed before me, only about 10 got the visas..they werent all for f1, mostly were for h1b

Comment

This is our situation.
          I am a Graduate student and My wife is on F2 visa. She got admitted to this Fall semester, with full tution reimbursement and stipend. We have only few days left before classes start. Initially we have decided to apply for COS from UCIS, and defer the admission to Spring 2012. But when we spoke to our schools international office we came to know that the school offer assistantships only in Fall. So even my wife join the program next spring, we have to pay full tution. So we are in dilemma now.

Our options are

1. Defer the admission and pay full fee
          2. Go to india and attend for F1 stamping
          3. Go to canada and attend fr stamping.

In this regard, I have few question for you. Your insights from your experience will be highly appreciated.

1. How much money should I have in my bank account to show the proof of support
          2. If we have full assistant ship, do we still need to show proof of support from bank.
          3. How long it will take for the entire process of obtaining visa stamped passport from US embassy in Canada.

any other tips will be appreciated
          thanks very much

Comment

Originally posted by Chantabbai View Post
            This is our situation.
            I am a Graduate student and My wife is on F2 visa. She got admitted to this Fall semester, with full tution reimbursement and stipend. We have only few days left before classes start. Initially we have decided to apply for COS from UCIS, and defer the admission to Spring 2012. But when we spoke to our schools international office we came to know that the school offer assistantships only in Fall. So even my wife join the program next spring, we have to pay full tution. So we are in dilemma now.

Our options are

1. Defer the admission and pay full fee
            2. Go to india and attend for F1 stamping
            3. Go to canada and attend fr stamping.

In this regard, I have few question for you. Your insights from your experience will be highly appreciated.

1. How much money should I have in my bank account to show the proof of support
            As per I-20, if school is sponsoring everything, you don't need to show anything.
            2. If we have full assistant ship, do we still need to show proof of support from bank.
            Not required, but she should still carry a summary of all funds available.
            3. How long it will take for the entire process of obtaining visa stamped passport from US embassy in Canada.
            Depending on date availability, if Visa is approved it should be delivered withing a few days.
            any other tips will be appreciated
            thanks very much
            Keep in mind the risk that if F1 Visa is denied, it is possible that F2 Visa may also be canceled (without prejudice) and then she will have to travel directly to home country from Canada. Overall ties to home country can best be demonstrated in home country but some third country people do get F1 Visas in Canada also.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

thank you very much sir

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X