Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk. Do not post anything you don't want publicly visible.

Track greencard/visa apps
Immihelp Tracker
Help Others
Share Experiences
Instant Quotes & Purchase
Visitor Medical Insurance
Find
Travel Companion
Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by student1 View Post
    nehs,

Thanks a lot for your answers. One small correction in my previous post.
    I still have a valid H4, I have applied for change of employer along with my husband's H1b.

Now, my question is can I apply for COS to F1 while my H4 (along with my spouse's H1B COE) is in process? or I should wait until it gets through and then apply for a F!?

Thanks,
    I'm not sure on this second question but I would wait till the H1 transfer is approved. What is your exact problem? Can you not start classes on H4? Why don't you wait? I'm asking you this because I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by nehs View Post
    From what I have read(don't remember the source, I think it was USCIS), the current visa(H4) needs to have atleast 30 more days to its validity when you file a COS. So a change of emplyer is ok,as long as you have a valid visa status - you should be fine.
    If you are still unsire then start school on H4 and talk to the DSO once you join school.
    Thanks nehs, this helps... i'm in a little bit clear state now.

Thanks,

Thanks nehs, this helps... i'm in a little bit clear state now.

Thanks,
    Good to hear...Good Luck!

Default Documents for COS H4 to F1

Hello all,

Could someone help me out to find what are the documents I should submit for a COS from H4 to F1? Also if I am filing my I-539 online, do I still need to mail any supporting documents? If so, what are they? Do I really need a lawyer for this? Can I do it myself?

Thanks for your help.

Default H4 to F1 visa change

Hi,
    I am right now on H4 visa. I have got admission for MS from Fall. I am now planning to apply for a change of status. It would be of great help if you could answer my questions.
    1) How long generally does it take for the status to change
    2) When will I be eligible to work off campus, do internships. I have heard that you need to be on F1 visa for at least 2 semesters to be eligible to work in companies. When will I be counted to be on F1? Is it the day I file for change of status or is it when the status change is completed.

Thanks a lot!

Prathibha

Quote Originally Posted by prathibhas1 View Post
    Hi,
    I am right now on H4 visa. I have got admission for MS from Fall. I am now planning to apply for a change of status. It would be of great help if you could answer my questions.
    1) How long generally does it take for the status to change
    2) When will I be eligible to work off campus, do internships. I have heard that you need to be on F1 visa for at least 2 semesters to be eligible to work in companies. When will I be counted to be on F1? Is it the day I file for change of status or is it when the status change is completed.

Thanks a lot!

Prathibha
    HI,
    1) I got mine in 4 months, but I started my course being on H4
    2) I do not think F1 student is eligible to work off campus unless you have OPT/CPT, which depends on your course and school
    When I received my COS approval notice, it has approval date on it, so I would consider that would be my starting date on F1

Good luck !

Default Change of status of H4 to F1

Hi,
    My daughter has a pending F1. she changed status from H4. However, the school started charging her with an International student rate without having an approved F1 visa yet. Is there a particular law that says that she can still use her H4 status and therefore be still charged of resident tuition fee. Please help. I am making an appeal at the school about her tuition fee.

HI,
    1) I got mine in 4 months, but I started my course being on H4
    2) I do not think F1 student is eligible to work off campus unless you have OPT/CPT, which depends on your course and school
    When I received my COS approval notice, it has approval date on it, so I would consider that would be my starting date on F1

Good luck !
    Hello

I am about to apply my COS from H4 to F1, just got my !-20 for this Fall season... I just wanted a little help on the Letter of Intent which we need to send to USCIS... what should be the best way to explain - 'why I want to change the status since we can study on H4 too, if I mention the CPT and OPT - it would be a negative I guess... and only assistantship, they'll not gona buy this.. isn't it?
    Please help me with your experience.
    Thanks

Hi could anyone please help me on the letter as mentioned in my below post...

Default Change of status

Hi,

I am too planning to joining the university in the year 2014. I am wondering since I have two years of masters degree, is there anyway I can stay on my current H4 visa for the first year and than change the status to F1 for the second year so I can take advantage of OPT. would it be possible at all????

highly appreciate your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast