Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prathibhas1 View Post
    Hi,
    I am right now on H4 visa. I have got admission for MS from Fall. I am now planning to apply for a change of status. It would be of great help if you could answer my questions.
    1) How long generally does it take for the status to change
    2) When will I be eligible to work off campus, do internships. I have heard that you need to be on F1 visa for at least 2 semesters to be eligible to work in companies. When will I be counted to be on F1? Is it the day I file for change of status or is it when the status change is completed.

Thanks a lot!

Prathibha
    HI,
    1) I got mine in 4 months, but I started my course being on H4
    2) I do not think F1 student is eligible to work off campus unless you have OPT/CPT, which depends on your course and school
    When I received my COS approval notice, it has approval date on it, so I would consider that would be my starting date on F1

Good luck !

Comment

Change of status of H4 to F1

Hi,
      My daughter has a pending F1. she changed status from H4. However, the school started charging her with an International student rate without having an approved F1 visa yet. Is there a particular law that says that she can still use her H4 status and therefore be still charged of resident tuition fee. Please help. I am making an appeal at the school about her tuition fee.

Comment

Originally posted by student1 View Post
        HI,
        1) I got mine in 4 months, but I started my course being on H4
        2) I do not think F1 student is eligible to work off campus unless you have OPT/CPT, which depends on your course and school
        When I received my COS approval notice, it has approval date on it, so I would consider that would be my starting date on F1

Good luck !
        Hello

I am about to apply my COS from H4 to F1, just got my !-20 for this Fall season... I just wanted a little help on the Letter of Intent which we need to send to USCIS... what should be the best way to explain - 'why I want to change the status since we can study on H4 too, if I mention the CPT and OPT - it would be a negative I guess... and only assistantship, they'll not gona buy this.. isn't it?
        Please help me with your experience.
        Thanks

Comment

Hi could anyone please help me on the letter as mentioned in my below post...

Comment

Change of status

Hi,

I am too planning to joining the university in the year 2014. I am wondering since I have two years of masters degree, is there anyway I can stay on my current H4 visa for the first year and than change the status to F1 for the second year so I can take advantage of OPT. would it be possible at all????

highly appreciate your help.

Comment

Deepika24

Hi..am presently on h4 visa. I am planning to apply for phd program for fall 2014 term. but if i am on h4 , then ill not be eligible for any funding or TA... so in order to avail all those opportunities then i have to convert to f1. so should i go back to my native country to change my visa status or can i do it by staying in US. if the latter, then what is the procedure to convert my visa status to f1. how many days prior to commencement of my course should i do this..? can somebody please reply me.. it would be of a great help. thank you.
              Deepika.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepika24 View Post
                Hi..am presently on h4 visa. I am planning to apply for phd program for fall 2014 term. but if i am on h4 , then ill not be eligible for any funding or TA... so in order to avail all those opportunities then i have to convert to f1. so should i go back to my native country to change my visa status or can i do it by staying in US. if the latter, then what is the procedure to convert my visa status to f1. how many days prior to commencement of my course should i do this..? can somebody please reply me.. it would be of a great help. thank you.
                Deepika.
                hi Deepika,
                check with your university if you can do PHD on H4. (many universities offer PHD program only for green card holders and citizens. regarding f1 You dont need to go to your home country to do that. (Unless you have plans to go, if you do, you have to get I 20 from your university and schedule appointment at US embassy once you fill all the necessery forms - DS 160 and attend interview. ) If in USA you can apply online once you fill all the documents, and the change of status usually takes one to two months but it might take even six months in some cases ( depend on USCIS approvals) once you get your change of status approved, you can stay in USA as long as your study period completes. but if you go out of USA ( to any country) you need to go to US embassy for stamping the F1 visa on your passport ( change of status does not do stamping in USA) the process for stamping is same as new visa interview and even though if you have your F1 approved, (change of status) in USA it might get denied at the embassy depend on how your visa interview goes.

Hope it helps, also check if PHD programs can be done under F1 visa?

Comment

Originally posted by vikky12 View Post
                  Hello everybody,

I applied for a change of status from h4 to f1. I am already in US on h4 visa. I want to start my MS from this fall (aug. 18th). I applied for my F1 visa on may 27th. Can someone please tell me when I can expect my visa. I am really tensed because my college is going to start and I still dont have my visa. Someone please help me

Thank you,
                  divya.
                  If you applied online, (elis) it is estimated to get a decision within 2 to 3 months.

Comment

H4 to F1 and H1 expiring soon..Pls advice.

Hi,

I am on H4 visa and have got admission in a college. I will be filing an H4 to F1 transfer and it usually takes 2-3 months. My H4 is expiring in 4 weeks.
                    What should I do.
                    - Should I file for F1 transfer right now. What will be my status during the time my H4 expires and F1 is not yet approved.
                    - Should I file for an H4 extension, start my college on H4, Get H4 to F1 conversion once H4 extension comes.
                    What is the most safe bet in this case.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Comment

rfe for h4 to f1

Hi

I just got a rfe from h4 to f1. It says -

1) Submit an evaluation of your education by a reliable education credentials evaluation service that specializes in foreign education credentials.

2) To facilitate your request for a change of nonimmigrant status to F1 student, submit a properly issued SEVIS Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (Form I-20) from your school. The form must contain original signatures of both the student and Designated School Official.

Can anyone help me with this.
                      Does point 1 mean wes evaluated marksheets are required?
                      Regarding point 2, I have already submitted my i20 provided by university to me. It has both mine and DSO signatures at correct places . Not sure why is it required again. Can anyone help me with this?

Regards and Thanks in Advance

Comment

H4 to F1 status and F1 stamping issues

Hey friends

Anyone Please help me out in the following questions

I was currently on H4 and applied for change of status to F1 and got approved. I will be graduating in may 2015.
                        1. can I start with my OPT next year or should i need to leave to my home country and get F1 stamped on my passport before applying for OPT ?
                        2. After doing my change of status , how long can i stay in USA ?
                        3. Can I get F1 stamped in canada ? or should i need to go to my home country?
                        4. Worst case scenario - Is there any chances of F1 rejection when i go for stamping ?

Urgent response needed...

Comment

which is safer option?

Hi,
                          Currently I hold H4 visa and I'm in my country (India). i'm planning to do MS in US university and join the college for spring 2015.
                          Is it safe to get F1 visa being in my country and then enter US with F1 visa or enter US with H4 visa and then apply for change of status (H4 to F1) being in US?
                          In my case what is the probability of F1 visa approval being in India?
                          If my application for F1 visa is rejected can I still travel to US in H4 visa?
                          If I get F1 visa, will my H4 visa be cancelled or can I hold multiple visas?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vikky12 View Post
                            Hello everybody,

I applied for a change of status from h4 to f1. I am already in US on h4 visa. I want to start my MS from this fall (aug. 18th). I applied for my F1 visa on may 27th. Can someone please tell me when I can expect my visa. I am really tensed because my college is going to start and I still dont have my visa. Someone please help me

Thank you,
                            divya.
                            Hi Divya,

I'm on H4 and started admission process.

But could u help me how can i change my status h4 to F1?

Kindly let me know the process

Comment

H4 to F1 COS in progress and H1 Transfer

Hi All,

My H1 and spouse H4 visa/i94 is valid till march 2016.
                              My wife has applied for change of status from H4 to F1 on Nov 1 st 2014 which takes 3 months.
                              I am planning to change employer in Dec 2014.

My questions:
                              1. Should I transfer her h4 also with my h1 having her cos to f1 is in progress or it will create an issue ?
                              2. While submitting documents during her transfer to f1 in Nov 2014 I submitted my first employer salary slips. Now if I change my employer will that cause any issue with the cos to f1 for my wife ?

Regards Ankit

Comment

H4 to F1 COS how much time

I am on H4 visa , and want to change my status to F1 in US only.

Can someone tell me how much time it takes to get F1 ? Heard it is taking some 6-8months . is it correct can someone help ?
                                And what are the documents required for it ?

- - - Updated - - -

I am on H4 visa , and want to change my status to F1 in US only.

Can someone tell me how much time it takes to get F1 ? Heard it is taking some 6-8months . is it correct can someone help ?
                                And what are the documents required for it ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X