Cap-exempt H-1B to Cap trasfer and Visa Stamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap-exempt H-1B to Cap trasfer and Visa Stamping

I am currently working for Employer 'A' with a cap-exempt H-1B visa. My current Visa stamp expired in May 2011. I am planning to travel to India in mid-August to get a fresh Visa stamp with this employer's I-797 which is valid through 2013 and try to re-enter US in September first week.

If another "for-profit" Employer 'B' decided to sponsor H-1B under 2012 cap, how will it affect my current status with my current non-profit employer. Specifically:

1. If company 'B' files for cap H1-B before my Visa interview in India, is there a possibility of negative outcome due to this application (depending on if it has been approved or is pending)?

2. If I manage to get a Visa stamping for company 'A' from US consulate in India and company 'B' files for cap H-1B (and possibly approved) before I re-enter US, would that cause problems at port of entry with CBP when I try to enter in early September.

3. Can I still work for Employer 'A', on cap-exempt visa, after the Cap H-1B for Employer 'B' is approved?

4. Do I need to get a new H-1B stamp for Employer 'B' since the existing stamp would be for Employer 'A' with Cap-exempt H-1B?

Thanks for your help.

1. If company 'B' files for cap H1-B before my Visa interview in India, is there a possibility of negative outcome due to this application (depending on if it has been approved or is pending)?
    >>> Not an issue. It will not have any impact.

2. If I manage to get a Visa stamping for company 'A' from US consulate in India and company 'B' files for cap H-1B (and possibly approved) before I re-enter US, would that cause problems at port of entry with CBP when I try to enter in early September.
    >>> No issues as long as you enter U.S with Company A's petition. Company B's petition will be effective only from Oct 1st.

3. Can I still work for Employer 'A', on cap-exempt visa, after the Cap H-1B for Employer 'B' is approved?
    >>> Yes.

4. Do I need to get a new H-1B stamp for Employer 'B' since the existing stamp would be for Employer 'A' with Cap-exempt H-1B?
    >>> No. You can enter U.S with any valid h1b visa and Employer B's petition. But you can enter only 10 days prior to the H1B petition effective date.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Shervin!

If I understand this correctly, I could use the H-1B Visa stamp for the cap-exempt employer with the approved petition from the employer subject to Cap, till it's valid and travel with that?

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by Socalister View Post
        Thanks for the quick response Shervin!

If I understand this correctly, I could use the H-1B Visa stamp for the cap-exempt employer with the approved petition from the employer subject to Cap, till it's valid and travel with that?
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X