Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 Transfer to different university

Hello,

I entered US in June 2010 on a J1 visa (previously I was on a F1 visa). The project I am working is transferred to a different university. So the other university is working with my university to do the transfer (which as they say is a simple process). The J1 at the new university is to start 1st Sept. Now I was planning to travel to India in September and the immigration officer at my current univ said that I can re-enter US with my current J1 visa stamp (as the stamp does not have the univ name and it is the same project I will be working on and my visa is valid until June 2012) but the immigration officers at the new univ say that I will most likely need to get a new visa stamp.

Now, do I need to get a new visa stamp or can I re-enter on my current visa stamp? Knowing the time, difficulty and the chance of refusal to get a new visa stamp, I am hoping that I can re-enter on my current visa stamp but certainly do not want to take any risk here.

Also I have not applied for the waiver for the two year home requirements.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,
    AGupta

You can use the same J1 Visa since all they are doing is SEVIS transfer.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

J1 trasnfer brfore entring US

Hi guys,

I have admission from a University (A) and have passed the administrative processing and they are ready to issue the visa. However I may run into some problems and have to change the institute. Will I have to re apply then for J1 visa or can I just update the DS form from the new university? If I just enter by this visa would it be easy to transfer after?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X