Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT Extension Issue Very Urgent

Hello

My OPT will expire on 31st Jan of 2012. So i wanted to apply for the extension. But the problem is i cannot get my Diploma till Jan 26 2012.

In USCIS website, "Students may apply for an OPT extension at any time prior to the expiration date of their current OPT period." found that point.

If i send my application by 27 or 28 to their office, will they process my application? Will i be able to work during the process of the application?

Please give your thoughts about it.

Thank You.

You can efile I-765. In case of efiling the day you click the submit button is considered receipt date and as long as that is before your current OPT expires, you will be fine.

If you want to be even safer, you can paper file earlier and attach a letter clearly stating in bold letters that diploma will be available on Jan 26 and you will send it then. Also add that Jan 26 is before your current OPT expires. If all degree requirements are met at that time, you can also try to get a letter from your school that all degree requirements are met and attach that.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank You.
      As i mentioned if i send my application on 26 Jan by overnight shipping, they can receive it by 27 Jan. Will that work? Expiration date of my OPT is 31 Jan.

Thank You.

Comment

That will not work, because USCIS receipt date can be later than the actual date they receive the packet by as long as 2 weeks. Efiling is the only way to ensure that receipt date is same as date of submission.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X