Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when to apply for J1 waiver

Hi,
    I am coming to US with a J1 visa as a research scholar. Got a post doctoral fellowship and the contact is for 1 year. But they have told it would probably be renewed. Based on that My husband (J2) and I applied for the visa.
    I didnt have much idea on the HRR requirement and thought my husband could change his status from j2 to H1 after receiving the EAD.

But recently after doing a bit of research, I have come to know that J2 is also subjected to the HRR and the J1 waiver takes around 1-1.5 years. Now I am in a dilemma, when shall I apply for the waiver (as my program itself is for 1 year and I dont have a clear idea about its extension)?

We are yet to travel and My husband has to leave is job here (@ INDIA) and search for a new one post EAD. So we are a bit worried.
    Please suggest the probable options.

You can't really think about applying for a waiver anytime soon as you even in the U.S. yet.

That is to be applied towards the end of your stay.

Read https://www.immihelp.com/j1-visa-hom...y-requirement/ and various pages below that to understand how it all works.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Can I apply to a waiver while my J1 is still active?

Hello, My question goes on the same path: I may use a J1 Student Visa in order to complete my PhD in the US - possibly at least 3 years.
      If I get under the 2YHRR, I wonder if I can apply to a waiver, let´s say, one year before the end of my J1, in order to avoid that restriction. My plans are to possibly work in the US after without interruption but I don't know if I must return home to manage it.

Originally posted by kc_immi View Post
      Hi,
      I am coming to US with a J1 visa as a research scholar. Got a post doctoral fellowship and the contact is for 1 year. But they have told it would probably be renewed. Based on that My husband (J2) and I applied for the visa.
      I didnt have much idea on the HRR requirement and thought my husband could change his status from j2 to H1 after receiving the EAD.

But recently after doing a bit of research, I have come to know that J2 is also subjected to the HRR and the J1 waiver takes around 1-1.5 years. Now I am in a dilemma, when shall I apply for the waiver (as my program itself is for 1 year and I dont have a clear idea about its extension)?

We are yet to travel and My husband has to leave is job here (@ INDIA) and search for a new one post EAD. So we are a bit worried.

Comment

When did you finally apply in the end? I am in a similar position and want to know when I should apply. Thanks

Originally posted by kc_immi View Post
        Hi,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X