Dual Citizen - US Passport Application Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Citizen - US Passport Application Overseas

A friend of mine just got his US citizenship last week. He became a dual citizen. He then left the US without a US passport with the intent to apply for his US passport at a US embassy overseas. Is that possible?

As far as I know, he had to leave the US with a US passport (even if he is a dual citizen) and that it is actually the law that you have to be in possession of a US passport when you leave the US (even if you are a dual citizen).

So will he be asked at the US embassy why and how he left the US without a US passport?

did you get your ceremony letter or has your case been update?

yes.

You can do that. you can apply at the embassy if your country if you like. The process is a little different. But if you are willing to pay a little more you can get your passport in 1 to 2 days if you have prove that you need it right away. there are passport agencies that do it right away. There is one in boston as well next to north station. you apply in the morning and you get to pick it up at 4pm. They charge you $240 i think. That is what i am planing to do. BUT i have not received the oath ceremony letter yet. Did you get yours? what date? has your status online changed from Post decision activity to Oath ceremony? Keep me updated i am worried here. Any other information feel free to ask.

Comment

Below is some info I found. Don't know how strictly this is enforced.

US passport requirements (22 CFR § 53)
      Section 215(b) of the INA [8 USC § 1185(b)] requires, in general, that any US citizen who is either leaving or entering the US must be in possession of a valid US passport. This requirement applies even in the case of a dual citizen travelling between the US and his other country of citizenship.

Citizens
      Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X