Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B Approval Notice has LNU in place of Surname

Hi,

I recently graduated from an American university and on my I-797A H1B approval notice, there is an LNU in place of my surname and my "firstname lastname" as my first name. I believe this is because that's how it is in my passport. The thing is I never really thought that was problem before as I have travelled the world and I also have two separate visa stamps from the U.S. (one for visitors visa and one for student visa) using this passport. All of them have my name in the right format. Also, I already have a SSN which is in the right format.

Now I am worried about obtaining the H1-B visa stamp.

When I fill the DS 160, would there be problems if I used my firstname as my firstname and my lastname as my lastname?

Alternatively, what are my other options?

Thanks a lot!

The name in DS160 should be filled as per your passport. Alternatively get the passport corrected and then schedule the visa interview. Carry both the passports and you should be fine.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

So, if I get my name changed and carry both passports that will solve the problem? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks again for your responses.

Comment

You can do an H1B amendment to get the name corrected. Then you will have absolutely no issues with both passport and petition corrected.

Originally posted by Lakmad View Post
        So, if I get my name changed and carry both passports that will solve the problem? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks again for your responses.

Comment

I spoke to my firm's lawyers and they say that an H1-B amendment cannot be filed unless there is a substantial change (change of job function, salary, etc).

Is my best bet to get my passport corrected and take both passports with me to the interview? Does anyone have a personal experience related to this they would like to share?

Also, does anyone know what the process for getting the name corrected is like at the NYC Indian consulate?

Thanks.

Comment

I have recently corrected my passport. Now, the question I have is on the DS-160 do I have to list my unsplit name as an "Other name"?

If anyone has experience in this regard, I would really really appreciate your insight!

Thanks.

Comment

There is definetely no harm in doing so.

I have recently corrected my passport. Now, the question I have is on the DS-160 do I have to list my unsplit name as an "Other name"?

If anyone has experience in this regard, I would really really appreciate your insight!

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

I recently graduated from an American university and on my I-797A H1B approval notice, there is an LNU in place of my surname and my "firstname lastname" as my first name. I believe this is because that's how it is in my passport. The thing is I never really thought that was problem before as I have travelled the world and I also have two separate visa stamps from the U.S. (one for visitors visa and one for student visa) using this passport. All of them have my name in the right format. Also, I already have a SSN which is in the right format.

Now I am worried about obtaining the H1-B visa stamp.

When I fill the DS 160, would there be problems if I used my firstname as my firstname and my lastname as my lastname?

Alternatively, what are my other options?

Thanks a lot!

Hey, I am stuck with the exact same issue. What should I do ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X