Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visitor visa for US Green card holder Spouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor visa for US Green card holder Spouse?

Hi,
    I'm a US Green card holder holding Indian passport and recently married Indian citizen living in India. I want to know options of getting her to US even if it's temporary? She has done her Ph.D from and currently not working. She is not planning to work in future as well, so finding her a job in US is ruled out.

If I want to apply her a visitor visa (B2), what is the chance of her getting it? what is the best reason which I can state in the covering letter to US consulate? She haven't officially changed her last name yet , so is it good idea to ask my elder brother who is a US citizen to send immigration papers stating her a cousin sister or can I send stating as my wife? Which option is preferred one?

I can start for her regular dependent Green card process but i hear it's taking 3/4 years? So, I want to first try at least getting her to US on visitor visa .

Please help !! Any good suggestion(s) will be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by arv1305; 12-28-2011, 03:52 AM.

Originally posted by arv1305 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a US Green card holder holding Indian passport and recently married Indian citizen living in India. I want to know options of getting her to US even if it's temporary? She has done her Ph.D from and currently not working. She is not planning to work in future as well, so finding her a job in US is ruled out.

If I want to apply her a visitor visa (B2), what is the chance of her getting it? what is the best reason which I can state in the covering letter to US consulate? She haven't officially changed her last name yet , so is it good idea to ask my elder brother who is a US citizen to send immigration papers stating her a cousin sister or can I send stating as my wife? Which option is preferred one?

I can start for her regular dependent Green card process but i hear it's taking 3/4 years? So, I want to first try at least getting her to US on visitor visa .

Thanks
    As discussed before on other posts, please be aware that by law, a visitor visa requires
    a non-immigrant intent . This is a very important issue which all visa officers look for while
    granting a visitor visa. Your spouse, by virtue of being married to a GC holder , automatically
    shows immigrant intent. So, it will be very hard for her to get a visitor visa.
    If she applies, she will get one straight answer from the officer; wait for your immigrant visa.It is possible in rare genuinely emergent circumstances.

This is a problem with most non-immigrant visas, the requirement of a non-immigrant intent.
    Only H-1b and L-1 visas do not require this condition. But, both these visas require jobs
    in US, so that option is ruled out in your case.

Suggestions;

1.Since she is a doctorate, it is possible that you can find an H-1b sponsored job in US for her.
    If she can work till she gets her immigrant visa , it will be easier for both of you. Or you will have to live separated
    for 3 years.
    2. You should file the immigrant petition for her soon. At least, that way, you can get her in the queue for the immigrant visa.
    Currenly they are granting immigrant visas to spouses whose petitions were filed 3 years ago. It is possible that the future
    processing times may go down or even up , so you must get her in the queue.
    Last edited by peace999; 12-28-2011, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Visa information for my wife

Originally posted by arv1305 View Post
      Hi,

Thanks
      H,

I am a US Green card holder. I am currently engaged and not married yet. My fiance is in India. She already has a Visitor visa. I am planning to bring her to usa and file for his green card.

Is it okay, if we get married in India and then I call her in USA on the visitor visa she has and file for the change of status........can she live in the USA legally until the green card is approved or it is better to call her here and get married here in USA and than file for the green card for my wife. Just want to share again that I am a green card holder and not a US citizen.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Travelling to the US on a visitor visa with the preconceived intent to change status is fraud, pure and simple. What you're planning is illegal.

Your fiance can get married in the US, then return to India. As a GC holder, you can then petition her for an immigrant visa.. and she awaits consular processing.

-Not legal advice, just a suggestion. Use at your own risk.

Comment

I am in same boat.
          Filed for I-824 Follow to Join last month.

If Tourist Visa is hard to get, would it be possible to come here on F1 visa.

Is F1 a dual intent visa.

Comment

Applicant needs to convince visa officer at embassy interview that they intend to use visa for it's intended purpose.

Comment

F1 is not a dual-intent visa. Only H1 & L1 are.
              - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Visa for fiancee

Originally posted by daggit View Post
                Travelling to the US on a visitor visa with the preconceived intent to change status is fraud, pure and simple. What you're planning is illegal.

Your fiance can get married in the US, then return to India. As a GC holder, you can then petition her for an immigrant visa.. and she awaits consular processing.

-Not legal advice, just a suggestion. Use at your own risk.
                I am in the same situation here. I am going to marry her in 2 months but she is in India. If i get her visitor visa for her now or before the marriage and after wedding she can come here for 6 months once she left from USA and can i file I-130 after that? or is this also risk or violation?

Comment

Originally posted by shahjainik View Post
                  H,

I am a US Green card holder. I am currently engaged and not married yet. My fiance is in India. She already has a Visitor visa. I am planning to bring her to usa and file for his green card.

Is it okay, if we get married in India and then I call her in USA on the visitor visa she has and file for the change of status........can she live in the USA legally until the green card is approved or it is better to call her here and get married here in USA and than file for the green card for my wife. Just want to share again that I am a green card holder and not a US citizen.

Thank you in advance
                  She can't adjust her status to permanent residency after marrying you, because an immigrant visa will not be immediately available to her. If she is out of status by the time an immigrant visa is available to her, she will not be eligible for adjustment of status because she is out of status. She will likely not be granted multiple extensions of status needed to keep her in the country while waiting for an immigrant visa becomes available, because she will not be able to articulate a bona fide non-immigrant purpose for her extenmmsions

That option simply is not available to you unless you naturalize, in which case an immigrant visa will be immediately available to her

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X