DWI on OPT. Please Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWI on OPT. Please Help.

As the title says, I am in deep problem.

I am student here in the US from Mumbai, India doing my MS in the state of NY. I am almost through the course, got a job and I applied for my OPT last year and got it in hand in August 2011. Since then I have been on OPT and working with a company who said that they will be willing to sponsor my H1 Visa. I expect to get my MS degree in hand by March.

In October 2011, one friday night, (long story why and how it happened) I got pulled over and the horror followed. Blew 0.15 BAC and was arrested for DWI.

Next day, I hired a lawyer, which costed me a fortune (student, hardly any savings, new job).

Current situation, going in for Trial in March.

- Will I have to do jail time ?

- What will happen for my OPT/EAD extension if I am convicted of DWI misd.? Will I get it ?

- What will happen for my H1B application if I am convicted of DWI misd.? Will I get it ?

- During H1B Application, will my employer's lawyer come to know about this ? Is my current job in jeopardy ?

- Can an immigration lawyer help me ?

I have learned from my mistake. I have given up drinking.

Same situation with me. AnyHelpWillDo

Hi anyhelpwilldo, i am also in the same situation right now. what happened with your situation? are you okay now.

I am also in similar situation right now
    I got my OPT Extension and it is valid until June 2013. I got a DUI two days ago. I will be applying for H1B in April 2013. Will there be any problem at that time or any special forms to fill for the DUI for H1B.

is it okay to go to India(Planing to go India in Aug 2012) on DUI.

Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

please respond here

please respond here
      Last edited by samlynn; 09-04-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Update

Hello,

Just to update you guys, I did get convicted for DWI with minimal sentence.

I am about to apply for OPT STEM extension, not sure how this is going to turn out. I did consult some immigration attorneys and they didn't think it should be a problem.

What are your updates ?

Comment

DWI on OPT. Please Help.

Hi anyhelpwilldo, I am also in the same situation. It happened in April for me and managed to get a deferred judgment. About to apply for stem extension. My sister, who is a hr with a US based company said I should not have any issue with opt extension. Consulted an immigration attorney. He seemed to think the same way. Lemme know how yours went.

Comment

Re:

If you're looking for an attorney that can help you for all legal matters your family may face, contact one of these Tampa family lawyers.

Comment

Please help

[QUOTE=anyhelpwilldo;257782]As the title says, I am in deep problem.

I am student here in the US from Mumbai, India doing my MS in the state of NY. I am almost through the course, got a job and I applied for my OPT last year and got it in hand in August 2011. Since then I have been on OPT and working with a company who said that they will be willing to sponsor my H1 Visa. I expect to get my MS degree in hand by March.

In October 2011, one friday night, (long story why and how it happened) I got pulled over and the horror followed. Blew 0.15 BAC and was arrested for DWI.

Next day, I hired a lawyer, which costed me a fortune (student, hardly any savings, new job).

Current situation, going in for Trial in March.

- Will I have to do jail time ?

- What will happen for my OPT/EAD extension if I am convicted of DWI misd.? Will I get it ?

- What will happen for my H1B application if I am convicted of DWI misd.? Will I get it ?

- During H1B Application, will my employer's lawyer come to know about this ? Is my current job in jeopardy ?

- Can an immigration lawyer help me ?

Hi anyhelpwilldo!
              As my title says i am screwed! No like for real i am screwed!! I got a dui couple of months back to be precise feb-11-2017 and my case is still in trail in the court i hired a dui lawyer. I am on my opt right now i also have a fulltime job. I need to apply for opt extension this month and according to so many online blogs my visa will be revoked for dui automatically and i will not get any opt extension. But i have not found anyone in the same situation to relate and expect whats gonna happen to my opt extension. So if you could share what happened with you will help a lot and if you found a way to get away with this and get your opt extension please share. Again thanks for any advice and any help is really appreciated!

Comment

Any information on your case would be appreciated greatly!!

Hi anyhelpwill do and admjd2009! Guys please share what happened with your opt extension. As my name reads i am screwed!! I am on opt now and got a dwi in missouri feb 2017 and now i need to apply for opt extension and any information with happened and how you dealt with it would be really helpful.. please respond

Comment

Originally posted by Iamscrewed View Post
                  Hi anyhelpwill do and admjd2009! Guys please share what happened with your opt extension. As my name reads i am screwed!! I am on opt now and got a dwi in missouri feb 2017 and now i need to apply for opt extension and any information with happened and how you dealt with it would be really helpful.. please respond
                  I am in a similar situation. The visa can not be revoked nor you will be deported. All the visa processes will be fine i.e., you will be approved for OPT extensions and H1B (if applicable). However the kind of punishment you receive varies from state to state (in terms of community hours, probation, fines, fees and suspensions). There are some states which do expungement if it is your first time offense. But get that info from your attorney. The only major problem that will happen is when you try to travel outside of the country. You can't travel out of the country until your probation period is completed. And you have to go through a special screening back at the embassy before re-entering to United States.

Comment

what happened to your case? did you get your visa renewed? please do reply.

Comment

Requesting for the response.

Originally posted by anyhelpwilldo View Post
                      Hello,

Just to update you guys, I did get convicted for DWI with minimal sentence.

I am about to apply for OPT STEM extension, not sure how this is going to turn out. I did consult some immigration attorneys and they didn't think it should be a problem.

What are your updates ?
                      Hello, i hope everything going fine. Can you please update whether you get your extension and what happened to your visa?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X