Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Change help for OCI

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is having any problem regarding the name change. My husband and I got divorced in 2006 and I had my surname changed back to my maiden name in the divorce judgement. I used that judgement paperwork from the court to change my bank account, US passport, etc. However, the counsulate doesn't consider it a valid name change document. I went to the court to have a formality name change, and I was refused because the divorce decree superceded the old name already. Is anyone / has anyone faced this problem while applying for the OCI. I don't know why an actual court document, that was good enough to get my US Passport changed, doesn't suffice for the Indian government.

I think people at the Indian consulate need some education, and you need to convince them.

The best thing I can suggest is that you contact an attorney here in the U.S. who is of Indian origin and knows the laws both in the U.S. as well as in India. (May be because he/she was lawyer in India before becoming lawyer in the U.S.)
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X