Would you get an OCI or PIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you get an OCI or PIO

I'm conflicted because I can apply for either an OCI or PIO. I'm a US Citizen, formerly an Indian Citizen (cancelled Indian passport).

I've read all the pros and cons and differences between the two, and it seems to me that apart from costing more, being limited to 15 years and having to register with the police after a stay of 180 days in India, the two systems are the same.

My main issue is how long the OCI takes to come through and having to deal with Delhi bureaucracy, but I'm not sure if this is really an problem. Maybe things move smoothly with the OCI?

I've also heard that the PIO card is going to be phased out - but I've been hearing that for years now...it just seems a quicker process.

I'd like to know what others are doing and why you made the choice you did (between PIO and OCI). Also, does it make a difference which one you have if you have a child/need to get your child an Indian visa?

Thanks in advance!

It may be depending on where you live but it took less than a month to get an OCI from SFO indian embassy recently. Not sure why it should vary from one embassy to another but I heard Houston takes more time. I remember PIO took around 4 weeks to get a year ago. Unless there is a need to travel immediately, I would just get OCI.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X