Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 student out of status!!

Hi,

I recently was taking lot of labs and class which are 1 credit and due to the load i dropped one class in a rush. It has been just two days i dropped and found out that this puts me with 10 credits this semester.It did'nt occur to me about the requirement of being full time while dropping from the class. So now i am probably out of status. Havent heard from INS yet. I will be meeting my advisor soon but he said i cannot apply for OPT or CPT or any work visa. Does that restrict me to green card in future too?

Can some one tell me what my options are ? My I-94 says D/S and its been two days i dropped that class. Other thing is i cannot register for any other class as its almost end of term now. Am i on the clock of being out of status? I am left 4 months from graduation and wish to complete atleast before i leave coz reentering will be a huge trouble and will also push my graduation ahead.

Another thing is My boyfriend is a US citizen and we have been living for almost 1 1/2 yrs together and now planning to get married which will also help me live in this country and finish my education at this point. So if i apply for green card through him can i continue my studies? and if not then how long do i wait to go back to school while my application is in process? How much time do i have to apply for green card before my I-94 expires (D/S on it !!) ?

Any suggestions or advice will be helpful ! Thanks in advance

What is the full-time requirement in your school? Is it greater than 10 credits? If so, yes you are out of status.

Your marriage with a US Citizen will save you from the effects. After you get married and he files petition for you, it will not be affected by your out of status period.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

More details

Thank you for your response!

Yes the requirement is 12 credits per semester! And i am taking 10 credits hence out of status . I am thinking of filing reinstatement but what are some best suggestions while filing reinstatement forms. What proof should i come up with to make my case strong.

We will get married soon probably but i have heard the immigration might get suspectful if we married right now as i fell out of status. IT shows that i am marrying him to stay in status. We were anyways going to get married but we both were waiting to save for our wedding and future plans. With current consequence we have to i think rush into this.

Comment

You should consult an experienced lawyer about this.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X