Got the Green Card, Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the Green Card, Now What?

I am Irish, and I won the Diversity Lottery in July 2011. My American Embassy interview was the 28th of February 2012. I was told on the day of the interview that I was approved and my visa would be sent to me in a few days. I got my visa (in my passport) sent to me on the 9th of March 2012 and it says my Visa was issued the 29th of February and that it expires on the 28th of August 2012.

I understand I have until the 28th of August 2012 to move to America, I plan on moving to New York.

My question is: Would it be too late to leave it to move to New York until the 21st of August? Or should I move over earlier in case I need to go to a USCIS office or anything like that? Or what is the situation? When I go over, do I need to do anything like get my passport stamped or anything? Also, what items are necessary for the first time going through immigration at the airport, I know a Passport is necessary, but the embassy told me to bring my x-ray from my medical exam and there's a envelope/package that is sealed and I need to bring that too, but is there anything else?

I plan on working until the 18th of August and move over on the 21st of August so I will have plenty of money to support me in case I find it difficult to get a job in the first few weeks?

Can you give me any advice on the matter?

Thanks

dude, u are like me. win dv 2012 and got immigrant visa valid until 27th aug 2012.
    u can come the day before, one week is fine, in case your flight is late.

once u arrive in the usa, they have a special window where they will stamp your visa I551, and it s like a green card, after this, u can go back to your rainy country if you wish.u are a free man!

me too, i dont know what to do, i can stay in the USA a few months, but if no job, i will go somwhere else until economy get better.

I think to not leave the usa more than 6 months, just going there for hollydays. i have other business in europe to finish.

for the green card, i guess you have a friend who will get it. he can send you to your home in ireland.
    you don't need the radio x but the yellow enveloppe that the US embassy gave you with your visa.

inside, you have all the forms you signed during the interview and the forms you sent to kentucky. so the visa go with the forms. dont open the envelope.

good luck and watch your weight!!

(what i would do, is go to a SSN office and ask for a SSN number if you dont have it. and open a mail box somewhere, csot around 100$ a year. and pass the driving license, with this adress. open a bank account, so like this DHS will ythink you are real patriot....!! )

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X