I-751 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 questions

My spouse and I will be filing our I-751 to remove conditions from her Green Card Around May/June of 2013, and I've got a few questions. I do have an immigrant services office with which we filed our original petition, but no one there speaks fluent English and I'm suspicious of some of their answers because it feels like they want to make it seem like they are my only option so that they can sell their services to me.

First question is about taxes. This year she filed as married, filing separately, and I didn't file this year because I'm still unable to find a job. The thing that I'm worried about is that my father still filed me as a dependent on his taxes. This is unavoidable for health insurance reasons (I have health conditions that the jerks at the insurance companies don't like, and the only way for me and my wife to get insurance is to stay on my father's policy until it expires). I'm wondering if this will cause any problems. Other than that, we have joint bank accounts, and our names are on our utility bills, so we should be good as far as providing proof of our marriage.

Second question is about sponsors. My wife and I are college students (I'm a senior, she's a junior) and we're barely getting by as it is, so my father was the sponsor (or was it co-sponsor? I don't recall the term). I recall that we had to include his tax information as well as some other paperwork for the original petition. Will we have to do the same for the I-751?

Third question is about the interviews and timeline. I heard that the interviews usually only occur when people don't file their I-751 together, or when they're divorced/separated. Since we will be filing it together, and we are not divorced or separated, what are the chances of getting an interview, and what is the estimated time frame between submitting the forms and the interview?

I ask because this whole immigration process is wreaking havoc with my school/career plans, and the timeline is a very big issue. If all goes well this year I will be going (with or without my spouse, we haven't quite decided) out of state for graduate school in August of 2013, roughly two months after we file the I-751. One of the major problems though is that I'm going into Japanese Pedagogy, and if things don't go well this year, I will need to participate in the JET Programme, working in Japan for a year prior to graduate school. This program starts around July/August 2013, which is only one to two months after submitting the I-751.

Best case scenario, we submit the I-751, either there's no interview or the interview is within 30 days of submission, I go on the JET Programme, and my wife joins me in Japan a couple of months later once she gets her Permanent Resident Card.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X