Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1-OPT out of status for 13 days. How big of a problem is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1-OPT out of status for 13 days. How big of a problem is this?

Hello everyone,

I have a question and would greatly appreciate your input.

I have recently been out of status for 13 days. I stayed in the US for that long beyond the 90-day unemployment period allowed for OPT holders.
    As I am about to apply for another student visa to go back to the US and pursue a Ph.D., I am wondering whether those 13 days during which I was out of status would seriously reduce my chances of getting the visa.

Please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by GTrot; 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM.

Well, I have done some research on the internet and found out that I shouldn't worry about my situation.
    As I said in my previous post, I had stayed in the US for 13 days past the 90-day unemployment period that I was entitled to. What I forgot to consider, however, is that after those 90 days had been consumed I still had a 60-day grace period to leave the US.
    Therfeore, my departure on the 13th day after my unemployment period had been consumed makes me in a perfectly good standing (As far as I know )

Bottom line, I think my thread raises a false problem . Sorry for that and godd luck to you all.

Comment

I have just asked an international student advisor at the university where I completed my masters, and it seems that I overstayed my visa.

He told me that under no circumstance can a student stay in the US beyond the 90 days of unemployment. The 60-day grace period applies only to students who would have reached the end of their OPT without entirely consuming the 90 days of unemployment.

I am posting this update so that no one would be misled by my previous posts.

This time, I am 100% sure about what I am saying as my source (i.e. International Student Advisor) is fully reliable.

Take care.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation. nice of you to post updates here.
        Speak to the DSO again and find out if it is ok to go for another visa interview this time.
        Good Luck

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X