Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial support: self-employment and paranoid sponsor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial support: self-employment and paranoid sponsor?

Hello,

I’m going to apply for an f1 visa and would really appreciate any advice about a few things that are specific to my situation. I’m uncertain about some things to do with showing financial support.

I am a UK citizen, due to start an MFA in Creative Writing in the US in fall 2012. I have some funding from the university which is just enough to live on, but not enough to qualify for an f1 visa. So I’m making up the difference of about $8,000 partly myself and partly sponsorship from my dad.

My dad is old-fashioned, and to be honest a bit sceptical of the idea of going to America to study. He’s willing to help me out, but refuses to put his signature to anything that says he will be bound by US law – he’s just paranoid about ending up in court or something…

- Am I right in thinking the only thing the sponsor has to sign is the application form for the I-20?

- The I-20 application form I have received from the university says beside the signature “must be notarized”. Does this mean the signature has to be witnessed by a lawyer or a bank official in the UK?

- Will it look bad to have funds in two separate accounts (my dad’s and mine)?

- What bank statements is it necessary to show? Since my dad is a reluctant sponsor, I don’t want to make him look out bank statements going back years.

- Is it necessary for the funds to have been in the account for a certain amount of time, or is it all right if some money has just been paid in recently? I am working hard and saving at the moment with a view to applying in a month or two, so I will not be able to show that money has been in my account for months.

- The other unusual thing is that I have been self-employed for the past 5 years, earning very little money. Will this count against me? I don’t want to lie, and can’t produce payslips as I haven’t been employed as an employee. I am only contributing $3,000 myself for the visa requirement because I don’t earn much. Would it be better for me to transfer this money to my dad’s account and have him be the sponsor for the whole amount, and not fill in anything under ‘own funds’ at all?

I’m really grateful for any advice!

Originally posted by donbirnam View Post
    Hello,

I’m going to apply for an f1 visa and would really appreciate any advice about a few things that are specific to my situation. I’m uncertain about some things to do with showing financial support.

I am a UK citizen, due to start an MFA in Creative Writing in the US in fall 2012. I have some funding from the university which is just enough to live on, but not enough to qualify for an f1 visa. So I’m making up the difference of about $8,000 partly myself and partly sponsorship from my dad.

My dad is old-fashioned, and to be honest a bit sceptical of the idea of going to America to study. He’s willing to help me out, but refuses to put his signature to anything that says he will be bound by US law – he’s just paranoid about ending up in court or something…

- Am I right in thinking the only thing the sponsor has to sign is the application form for the I-20? Yes it is only the application for I-20

- The I-20 application form I have received from the university says beside the signature “must be notarized”. Does this mean the signature has to be witnessed by a lawyer or a bank official in the UK?MY application for I-20 also said the same thing; however, I did not notarize it. Call the International Students office of your school and ask them if they need this.

- Will it look bad to have funds in two separate accounts (my dad’s and mine)?No, totally acceptable. Infact, the I-20 will have sources of funds clearly spearated as personal funds ,other sources, assitanships etc

- What bank statements is it necessary to show? Since my dad is a reluctant sponsor, I don’t want to make him look out bank statements going back years.Last 3-4 months is enough. You will have to get them from the bank though and not the ones printed off the internet

- Is it necessary for the funds to have been in the account for a certain amount of time, or is it all right if some money has just been paid in recently? I am working hard and saving at the moment with a view to applying in a month or two, so I will not be able to show that money has been in my account for months.That's fine. Just the latest 3-4 months is fine.

- The other unusual thing is that I have been self-employed for the past 5 years, earning very little money. Will this count against me? I don’t want to lie, and can’t produce payslips as I haven’t been employed as an employee. I am only contributing $3,000 myself for the visa requirement because I don’t earn much. Would it be better for me to transfer this money to my dad’s account and have him be the sponsor for the whole amount, and not fill in anything under ‘own funds’ at all?[Not sure on this. But, yeah it does make sense to have all money come from one source. Probably easier to answer the questions during the visa appintment, However, i'm just guessing on this one. I have no experience with this question.

I’m really grateful for any advice!
    Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks nehs, that is reassuring. I'm not too worried about the I-20, it's actually for the evidence to show to the Visa Officer that I wondered if it is bad to have money in two accounts. I really hope I'm worrying too much - it just feels stressful that this is the last hurdle to get over so I can study in the states!

Comment

Originally posted by donbirnam View Post
        Thanks nehs, that is reassuring. I'm not too worried about the I-20, it's actually for the evidence to show to the Visa Officer that I wondered if it is bad to have money in two accounts. I really hope I'm worrying too much - it just feels stressful that this is the last hurdle to get over so I can study in the states!
        Yep, the I-20 is no big deal, the visa process is a little more stressful. However, it is acceptable to have money in different accounts. So you are ok, unless you are paranoid about this then you could consider consolidating your money into one account.
        This is definitely the last hurdle to entering the US but studying in the US is stressful by itself. Not to scare you, but this stress is positive stress!!
        :-)
        Let us know how your visa appointment goes through

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X