Dear Brothers and Sisters,
I am confused why my passport has not been returned back to me yet. Please help me understand what might be causing this delay. Here are the facts -
1. I appeared for my H1B visa interview (initial stamping) at New Delhi Embassy on Thursday April 12th, 2012.
2. After few questions (job profile, education background, etc.) Visa Officer informed me that "I am approving your visa... you should receive your passport back in 4 to 5 days". I did not receive any slips from the VO.
3. Today is day 10 from the day of my interview and I have not yet received my passport.
4. I tried contacting VFS and they say that "US Embassy has not handed over the passport to us and we have no more information".
5. The online passport tracking tool of VFS states"your passport is under process at U.S. Embassy/Consulate".
6. Couple of days ago, I called the State department's toll free number in Washington D.C. and they said "your passport is under review, you have to wait". I asked how long can be this "wait", they replied "check back next week".
7. I called the New Delhi Embassy several times and they tell me to check with VFS. Its a vicious circle!
8. I have been living in the US for many years. All my education is from US universities.
9. All my previous visas were in an old passport (which I still have). I received a new passport within last few years while in the US.
10. I have already missed my flight back to the US
My questions are -
1. What could be going on with my case?
2. Why am I not getting any information from the US authorities?
3. How long could I be made to wait for my passport?
4. Is there anything else I can do to expedite my passport?
5. Is there any chance my visa won't be approved (despite being told otherwise during the interview)?
As you can imagine, this ordeal has been quite stressful for me and my family. I wish nobody has to go through this.
I will really appreciate your input.