N-400. Selective service question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400. Selective service question

I came to US on a student visa (F1) in 2002 at the age of 23. When I applied for a Driver's license in NY at the age of 25, I accidentally got registered for Selective service even though I was a non-immigrant. I became a US Resident/ green card holder in 2009 at the age of 30.

I am filing for Citizenship now. The N-400 form has a question (#33) on selective service.
    "Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?"

how do I answer this question? no or yes? The answer should be no because I was a non-immigrant. But since I was accidentally registered should I answer "Yes". I don't want USCIS to get an impression that I became a resident alien before age 30 when I actually was not.
    However, I don't want to answer "No" because I am already registered...even if it was accidentally.

I am not sure if there is a best answer....what is the least risky answer to this question?

Thanks.

You need to answer "No" to that question since you were not a permanent resident at that time. You were on a non-immigrant visa and hence, not required to register but you registered by mistake.

If the question comes up during your interview if you registered or not, tell the officer that you were registered by mistake at the DMV for selective services.

I would also take a letter from selective services showing that you registered. Take that letter with you to the interview in case the officer asks for it.

--
    Last edited by nwctzn; 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Yes

You have to say YES I also came to the U.S. With a visa an fix my status to become a citizen trust me they are going to ask you. if you say NO the officer may question how come you didn't register? I also Register when I got my drivers license even though you weren't suppose to do,you did so if you say NO officer may take it's as you lying . Trust me this issue delay my process. you can contact the selective service visit SSS.gov call them and tell them you need a copy of your selective services number is a requirement to become a citizen explain to them why you need it for and I may sure you put pressure on them that you really need it because like I said you were not suppose to get it done BUT you now have one . Make sure your ready with this document otherwise your going to struggle a little be like I did. So hope this helps good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Krod007 View Post
        You have to say YES I also came to the U.S. With a visa an fix my status to become a citizen trust me they are going to ask you. if you say NO the officer may question how come you didn't register? I also Register when I got my drivers license even though you weren't suppose to do,you did so if you say NO officer may take it's as you lying . Trust me this issue delay my process. you can contact the selective service visit SSS.gov call them and tell them you need a copy of your selective services number is a requirement to become a citizen explain to them why you need it for and I may sure you put pressure on them that you really need it because like I said you were not suppose to get it done BUT you now have one . Make sure your ready with this document otherwise your going to struggle a little be like I did. So hope this helps good luck !
        The question clearly reads: "Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?"

The OP was a lawful nonimmigrant. So he cannot answer "Yes" to that question since it is not true. What happened is that he registered for selective service by mistake but he did not have to.

So what he needs to do is to answer "No" to that question and take a letter from the selective service with him for his interview. If the officer asks about it, he can truthfully explain that he was registered by mistake and that he was a nonimmigrant at that time.

The rule is: Read all questions on the N400 form very carefully and disclose everything truthfully to the USCIS!

--
        Last edited by nwctzn; 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry your right but make sure you have the papers for the selective services

Comment

Be Practical

Okay, I was in a similar situation when applying for naturalization. Here is my take on it:

1. It's not a crime to register for the Selective Service when you are a non-immigrant. In fact, any officer would view it as a plus that you were willing to put your life on the line for a country that you had no intention of immigrating to at the time.

2. It is considered a "moral character" issue to NOT register for the Selective Service when you are required to.

Therefore disclosing your SS registration and the details thereof whether or not you were required to is DEFINITELY a plus and in your favor.

I originally came to the US on an F-1 but got PR before I turned 25 so I was required to register, but thought I had not registered. Turns out I somehow inadvertently registered somewhere along the line when I was on F-1 Status. Everything went like a breeze for me thank God but registering just saved me from one more question that I didn't need.

So my advise, state "No" and then disclose your SS registration information. That way you have been 100% truthful and shine like a star for signing up to put your life on the line for this great country that is about to become yours as well! Good Luck!

Comment

Selective Service question on form N400

Hello,

I have a several questions in this topic.
              I was planning to fill out the form N400 in next few days (before I leave for my vacation in 2 weeks).

I came in US on J1 first time. I did not turn 25 yet at that time. Then left US and came back on F1, I already turned 25 then. The following year after that entry on F1, I changed my status to H1B but already turned 26 previous year. So therefore my question 1.

1. I looked at the form and it says that you need to register if you between ages of 18-26. Does that mean to consider period only until you turn 26 or even after 26th birthday? (basically are you considered 26 until you turn 27?) I read the SS site and I think the answer is until you turn 26 but just wanted to double check with people here.

2. If I was not required to register then, now that I am 40 and applying my N400 do I just need to answer No to question 46 A on N400 (are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays? but then in italic and parenthesis bellow This does not include living in the United States as a lawful nonimmigrant?

3. Do I need an official letter from SS? Or do I just say NO on the N400 form and then explain at the interview? I really wouldn't like to further delay my application and the whole process. (BTW I called SS office and explained them the situation and they said that I was not required to register but in order to get the official letter from them I need to send them all of the visas, passport stamps and all of the student visa documentation and they should, if everything is ok, send me the official letter in 3-4 weeks).

Thank you very much!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X