Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Change of Status to F-1 applicants here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COS approved

Hi all,
    Just wanted to update you that I have received the approved I797 from USCIS for my COS to F1. It took exactly 3 months for my case.

My school has registered me as an F1 student now. But they say that I have to wait for 10 days after I am registered on F1 to be able to apply for SSN. Because it takes 10 days for the SSN database to get updated with my F1 details. Is this true? Pl let me know.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by newbieatnc View Post
      Hi all,
      Just wanted to update you that I have received the approved I797 from USCIS for my COS to F1. It took exactly 3 months for my case.

My school has registered me as an F1 student now. But they say that I have to wait for 10 days after I am registered on F1 to be able to apply for SSN. Because it takes 10 days for the SSN database to get updated with my F1 details. Is this true? Pl let me know.

Thanks
      Great and congrats!

I'm not sure about SSN but I guess you need a job first to apply for a SSN. So you could start looking for on-campus jobs.
      How many more credits/courses for you to graduate?

Comment

Thanks. I do have an internship offer starting midJune. I have to complete 12 more credits to graduate.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks
          Great to know! thanks, that confirms they are a bit delayed...

With regards to the SSN you need to have a written job offer and then head with that and your I-20 to the SSN office... not before that... so Im guessing YES, the university will take some time to process all that....

Congrats btw

Comment

OMG! I just got status update on my I-539 form, it says:

"Your Case Status:
            Post Decision Activity

On May 23, 2012, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I539 APPLICATION TO EXTEND OR CHANGE NONIMMIGRANT STATUS. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations."

Am I approved for sure, or I should wait for the paper decision ?
            I applied on March 16th.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_derdale View Post

"Your Case Status:
              Post Decision Activity

On May 23, 2012, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I539 APPLICATION TO EXTEND OR CHANGE NONIMMIGRANT STATUS. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations."

I applied on March 16th.
              Fantastic news and congragulations!
              Yes, I believe your petition is approved

Comment

Originally posted by newbieatnc View Post
                Thanks. I do have an internship offer starting midJune. I have to complete 12 more credits to graduate.
                I believe you can apply for SSN .
                so you have one more semester to go? I also have 12 more credits.

Well, I had a question about OPT. My school DSO once told me that we need to be one year on F-1 status to be eligible for post-completion OPT. I'm pretty sure she is wrong but just wanted to check this with you. Any inputs/information that you may have?

Comment

Originally posted by nehs View Post
                  Fantastic news and congragulations!
                  Yes, I believe your petition is approved
                  Thank you I hope you'll also get approval, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_derdale View Post
                    Thank you I hope you'll also get approval, good luck!
                    thanks you, I hope so too. I applied on March 27, so pretty close
                    You start the programi in the Fall?

Comment

"Your Case Status:
                      Post Decision Activity

I applied on March 16th.
                      Congratulations! Yes this means you are approved, only need to wait for the paper copy of the new I-94 ...

Well, I had a question about OPT. My school DSO once told me that we need to be one year on F-1 status to be eligible for post-completion OPT. I'm pretty sure she is wrong but just wanted to check this with you. Any inputs/information that you may have?
                      I believe this is true, however, cal USCIS to make absolutely sure it is the case

Comment

Originally posted by venesat1 View Post
                        I believe this is true, however, cal USCIS to make absolutely sure it is the case
                        which is true you mean? :-)
                        We need not be on F-1 status for one year, as long as we have been on a full-time student. is this what you mean?

Comment

which is true you mean? :-)
                          We need not be on F-1 status for one year, as long as we have been on a full-time student. is this what you mean?
                          I meant the part that you need to be at least one year on an F1

2. What are the Eligibility Requirements for F-1 Optional Practical Training?
                          To be eligible to apply for optional practical training, you must: (1) have been a full time enrolled student in the U.S.
                          for at least one academic year by the requested start date of your OPT, and (2) be in F-1 status when you apply.

Comment

I saw the document, thanks. This means we don't have to be on F-1 status for one year ? So the only requirement is we should be a full-time student for one year and on F-1 status when we graduate.
                            My School gave me wrong information - the DSO said one year on F-1 status is mandatory. I need to talk to them about this once my F-1 status gets approved.

Comment

Hey guys, I just got my approval notice !!!!! So it was just updated online..

I applied March 1st, so EXACTLY 3 MONTHS! just like for Sun_derale...

Take Care and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by venesat1 View Post
                                Hey guys, I just got my approval notice !!!!! So it was just updated online..

I applied March 1st, so EXACTLY 3 MONTHS! just like for Sun_derale...

Take Care and good luck!

Great and congrats. A relief for sure :-)
                                I'm still waiting for mine. But I applied only on March 27. So the wait continues.

You have 12 more crrdits to go I believe?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X