Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding out I-751 outcome after marriage fraud :(

Good evening,

Some time ago, I [a U.S. citizen] brought my fiancee to the United States on a K-1 visa. We married and she subsequently obtained two-year conditional permanent resident (i.e. green card) status. Shortly after she attained that status, I realized (somewhat belatedly) that she did not intend to engage in a legitimate marriage with me and had in fact married me for the sole purpose of obtaining a favorable immigration status to the United States.

I subsequently filed for an annulment based on fraudulent inducement to the marriage. Of the three elements of fraudulent inducement, the judge found that she had made false statements to me in order to induce me to marry her and that I had suffered damages as a result of relying on her false statements in agreeing to marry her, but that there was "insufficient reasonable reliance" on my part to grant the annulment. As a result, he granted us a divorce instead of the annulment, and included his judgment of the three elements in the divorce order.

("Insufficient reasonable reliance" means that although she lied to me to get me to marry her and I was damaged by believing her lies, a "reasonable, prudent person" in a similar situation would probably not have believed her lies. In other words, I should have seen it coming. If this had been some type of business contract, I would agree with him. But I was in love and thus acted somewhat foolishly in believing that she wanted to marry me because she loved me and wanted to spend her life with me. In my defense, I will add that she was in the United States legally when we met, and we had known each other for like three years prior to marrying. But that's really neither here nor there.)

It has now been almost two years since she obtained her two-year green card, so the time is approaching when she will have to file an I-751 to lift the conditions of her conditional permanent residence status if she wishes to remain in the United States legally (which she does). I am no longer in contact with her, nor do I wish to be in contact with her, but I would like to know whether she is granted unconditional permanent resident status or not. (It seems unlikely that she would, given the wording of the divorce decree, but who knows with these things...)

I have done a little bit of research on the web and have not been able to discover a method for finding this out once the time comes. Perhaps the government considers it to be none of my business now that we are no longer married. Nevertheless, I would like to find out what the outcome is. Do any of you have any idea how I might find out?

Thanks in advance,
    calmload

rejection

THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION. I AM NOT A LAWYER.

I read your message and it seems likely that she will be rejected the green card based on your marriage.

From what you have stated her conditional 2-year green card was granted because of marriage to you. To remove the conditional status when she will be called in to the Immigration offices to have another interview with them, she will fail to show any relation to you at the moment and therefore her status as a spouse to YOU will no longer grant her ANY green card. You have both have decree of divorce.
    I am wondering if you have updated your status with Immigration. The day your divorce was finalized you could have, in theory, sent a copy of the decree to Immigration to update your case, since you petitioned for her green card based on marriage to you. If you have not done that, i suggest you do it.

There is always the possibility that after the divorce she has used the same method to marry another US citizen and file for green card again through her new spouse. In which case you have no say and it should not be your business at all. You have moved on and so has she.

Please read on immihelp.com what is needed to remove conditional status from green card. I believe that she will need to have you there at the interview and prove that her marriage to you is still alive and happy with proof of bona fide of marriage,which she cannot prove hence she cant get a permanent green card based on marriage to you, because that is not the case anymore.

Just update your case with Immigration by sending them a copy of your divorce decree, just in case she "forgets" to mention it.

Good Luck

Comment

How to approach this

Hi Thnos,

I am in a similar yet different situation. I will preface my response with noting that I too am not an attorney.

My soon to be ex-husband filed for divorce and then applied to lift conditions of his 2yr green card before having the divorce decree. He applied to lift conditions befor being in the country and married for 2 years.

Dispite what the previous responder has stated, you do have a good reason to want to know the outcome of lifting conditional status because if it was successful you become financially responible for keeping her above the poverty level for 10 years....even with a finalized divorce.

My service center gave me the low down on the status of my soon to be ex husband's file. But they will not give youany information over the phone. You need to make an info pass appointment and prepare your own case as to why she should not be granted her 10 year greencard. Include proof that you were not living together like leases or mortgages with only your name. Any other document that she may submit to proove good faith marriage and that she could easily forge or ****...you need to submit the true and accurate copy. Affidavits from people who knew you both and who can attest to the fact that she showed no interest in the marriage. Gather all of that info and when the 90 days for her to file to lift conditions arrives, you make an appointment to go into your local USCIS service center and you give them your receipt number or your name and ssn so they can look up your file. You also write your own statement as to what happened in your relationship. You ask them if you can add this information to the file of your then spouse. They may not give you any information about her file but they might take the information you provide and include it in her file. I didn't ask USCIS if I could do this, this is what they suggested I do in my case. They see this happening alot and they do consider your claim. But you need to do this while her case file is still at your local service center and before it get mailed to the central procesing location. After it is mailed to the central processing location you will need to make regular appointments at your local USCIS service center in order to find out when the case file is returned back to the local service center. At this point you have a second chance to submit information to the file before she is interviewed. Don't give up. This is not the time to move on. Tie up this loose end before moving on because if you don't at least attempt to do this and she gets her 10 year green card you could suffer financial consequences. There HAVE BEEN successful cases of alien residents suing their spouses in court so that the spouse keeps the alien resident above the poverty line. This is because the spouse has signed an affidavit of support.

Best wishes to you or whom ever found this post in need of some sort of answer

Comment

Same Situation

I am pretty much in the same situation although I caught mine before his I-485 was approved and requested an immediate termination of my I-130. My question is... Am I still responsible as far as the I-864 Affidavit of Support? I just got notice that his I-485 has been DENIED and he is waiting to find out the reasons, because I submitted several reasons to withdraw. I also got notice of acknowledgment of my request for withdraw on the I-130. Will they send me a notice as well as to why it was denied since I was the petitioner? I think the people that do this should be fined and serve prison time. UGH

Reasons for withdraw
        Fraud
        Forgery
        Theft
        Property Damage
        Pending Assault case

Comment

I too am in the same painful situation...................

I married someone from another country, eastern Europe, and they showed a great interest in marrying me. I wanted to get to know the person slowly, but they were faster than me. There were red flags early in the relationship which I chose to ignore because I was alone all my life. I figured she would outgrow her immaturity. To make a long story short, she conned me for thousands of dollars, in part her family needed help and in part she was overdoing it, but I loved her. Things in my family required more of my attention. There were deaths in my family and there was one in hers. She began to be demanding while I was still helping her. I saw this even more right after she got her green card and social security number in the mail which she only showed me briefly and from three feet from me. Another red flag, I once asked her if she could give me her social security number and she ignored my question. Bad. She would dress in the summer time like a little hooker. I hated that. She would almost be showing her chest. She began to pick more and more on things and blowing them out of proportion and she once sent me an email posing as someone else to set me up. She was trying to find a pretext and she did. It has been a year and some months after she got her green card and a US immigration officer told me on the phone recently that I could still make the complaint, but the longer I wait the less likely that my complaint might have an effect. I still love her. They might arrest her and I dont want nothing to happen to her. I just want her to be sent back because she does not deserve to be here. She is in another part of the USA. I was reading that you can write to the attorney general of your state to make the complaint too and get more attention. This is in addition of course of telling USCIS. What one reader here says that you should send immigration a copy of your divorce sounds like a great idea. In this world people use each other. It is horrible. I was looking forward to a stable marriage with kids certainly. It is painful and horrible, but this is what we have to do. the USCIS does not seem to have enough resources to pick on fraudulent marriages so people need to be more careful, but not rushing into things like I did. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. It is hard when you have your heart in your hands and the person you think loves you ends up spitting on you. She looks skinny from the back and vulnerable. I still love her. It is hard to deal with these issues. On top of this I am still dealing with deaths in my family. This has been the most painful moment in my life. This has been the worst time of my life. You almost get to a point where you dont really want to live anymore. This has been extreme in stress. To end this comment let me say here that I am not a lawyer either. This is only my opinion.

Comment

Storm,

What are you asking? If your gal has her 2-year Green Card, she will need to apply for her 10-year card with your signature, or request a waiver from joint filing because of an "abusive relationship" or divorce.

It's not likely that you are going to be instrumental in forcing her to return to her home country, unless she refuses to meet USCIS requirements for paperwork or interviews.

If she already has a 10-year Green Card, she is now secure with her status and there is nothing you can do about it unless you have realistic evidence of visa or immigration fraud on her part.

--Ray B

Originally posted by STORM2014 View Post
            I married someone from another country, eastern Europe, and they showed a great interest in marrying me. I wanted to get to know the person slowly, but they were faster than me. There were red flags early in the relationship which I chose to ignore because I was alone all my life. I figured she would outgrow her immaturity. To make a long story short, she conned me for thousands of dollars, in part her family needed help and in part she was overdoing it, but I loved her. Things in my family required more of my attention. There were deaths in my family and there was one in hers. She began to be demanding while I was still helping her. I saw this even more right after she got her green card and social security number in the mail which she only showed me briefly and from three feet from me. Another red flag, I once asked her if she could give me her social security number and she ignored my question. Bad. She would dress in the summer time like a little hooker. I hated that. She would almost be showing her chest. She began to pick more and more on things and blowing them out of proportion and she once sent me an email posing as someone else to set me up. She was trying to find a pretext and she did. It has been a year and some months after she got her green card and a US immigration officer told me on the phone recently that I could still make the complaint, but the longer I wait the less likely that my complaint might have an effect. I still love her. They might arrest her and I dont want nothing to happen to her. I just want her to be sent back because she does not deserve to be here. She is in another part of the USA. I was reading that you can write to the attorney general of your state to make the complaint too and get more attention. This is in addition of course of telling USCIS. What one reader here says that you should send immigration a copy of your divorce sounds like a great idea. In this world people use each other. It is horrible. I was looking forward to a stable marriage with kids certainly. It is painful and horrible, but this is what we have to do. the USCIS does not seem to have enough resources to pick on fraudulent marriages so people need to be more careful, but not rushing into things like I did. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. It is hard when you have your heart in your hands and the person you think loves you ends up spitting on you. She looks skinny from the back and vulnerable. I still love her. It is hard to deal with these issues. On top of this I am still dealing with deaths in my family. This has been the most painful moment in my life. This has been the worst time of my life. You almost get to a point where you dont really want to live anymore. This has been extreme in stress. To end this comment let me say here that I am not a lawyer either. This is only my opinion.

Comment

My wife got married and got green card for a guy but the guy end up in jail and my wife for divorce 2 month ago.can I marry her for my own green card since we have been dating for a year now and we love each other ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X