Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 b ds 160

Hi,

I am currently on H1 B with an academic institution A (in City X). My visa expires in June 2013 though my job contract ends in June, 2012.

I have received a new academic job offer from Institution B (in City Y) with a start up date of August, 2012. This makes me unemployed for a month in July. However, I have plans to visit India in June, so the academic institution B has got me a new I797 and I will be applying for a fresh visa with this new I797.

I am also relocating to City Y in this month end before leaving for India so that I can come back directly to City Y to begin my new job with the institution B.

I am currently in the process of filling up my DS-160 with a plan of visa interview in the second week of June. I have few queries, I would really appreciate if anybody can address them.

1. Is it fine give City Y as my home address as by the date of my interview my new address will be City Y? I am slightly concerned by this as I am still employed by Institution A (in City X) in this June and further in my present employer name and address, I am filling up Institution A and City X as I am still employed.

2. Also in July I dont have a job and the new job starts only in August. Will there be a problem if I give a US address as home address though by the interview date I am still employed by an US institution with a valid visa and I797. In that case, while making an appointment, I have to opt for the option " An Indian Citizen resident in the US"??

3. Temporary visa information, just to verify, I have to give me new I797 receipt number and my new employer's name?

4. My wife is currently in H4. In her case, in the DS 160, there is a question "Principal Applicants Petition Number". Should I give my new petition number there?

I would really appreciate your responses.

Many thanks

1. Is it fine give City Y as my home address as by the date of my interview my new address will be City Y? I am slightly concerned by this as I am still employed by Institution A (in City X) in this June and further in my present employer name and address, I am filling up Institution A and City X as I am still employed.
    >>> You SHOULD give your new address. Remember, the information you enter in DS160 is as of the date of your visa interview.

2. Also in July I dont have a job and the new job starts only in August. Will there be a problem if I give a US address as home address though by the interview date I am still employed by an US institution with a valid visa and I797. In that case, while making an appointment, I have to opt for the option " An Indian Citizen resident in the US"??
    >>> Yes.

3. Temporary visa information, just to verify, I have to give me new I797 receipt number and my new employer's name?
    >>> Yes.

4. My wife is currently in H4. In her case, in the DS 160, there is a question "Principal Applicants Petition Number". Should I give my new petition number there?
    >>> Yes. You are the principle applicant. Your wife and kids are dependent applicants.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin,

Thank you very much for your responses. They are very helpful. I have an additional question.

I am taking that interview appointment for second week of June when I will be in City Y but have a job with Institution A (City X). As suggested, I will be giving City Y as my address. But I dont have a job in JULY, my new job only starts in August. Will that one month gap be an issue for visa interview . Will it create problems by giving my home address as city Y in USA?

Just to remind, by the time of interview I will still be an employee of Institution A,

Many thanks

Comment

I am taking that interview appointment for second week of June when I will be in City Y but have a job with Institution A (City X). As suggested, I will be giving City Y as my address. But I dont have a job in JULY, my new job only starts in August. Will that one month gap be an issue for visa interview . Will it create problems by giving my home address as city Y in USA?
        >>> No issues as long as you spend that 1 month outside U.S. If you are out of status in U.S for that 1 month, then it will be an issue.

Just to remind, by the time of interview I will still be an employee of Institution A,
        >>> It doesn't matter. Give them the actual address where they can contact you if necessary. When you are outside U.S, you are technically not employed with any U.S employer as there is no guarentee that your visa will be approved or not.

Comment

Hi Shervin,

Thanks for your responses. I am sorry but may be I slightly confused the situation. So, I am restating my situation and questions. I will appreciate your response and help.

I am currently on H1 B with an academic institution A (in City X). My visa expires in June 2013 though my job contract ends in June, 2012. I have received a new academic job offer from Institution B (in City Y) with a start up date of August, 2012. I am relocating to City Y in this month end. After that I will be leaving for India so that I can come back directly to City Y to begin my new job with the institution B around beginning of August. Also so that the month of July when I am not employed by any institution, I will be in India.

1. Is it fine to give City Y as my home address as by the date of my interview my new address will be City Y? By the time of interview I will be still employed by Institution A (in City X) with a valid visa (so I am in status), though I will be in India for visa interview and vacation

2. When I will be applying for a new visa with my new employers new petition, will it create problem by giving city Y as my home address as in July I dont have a job? However, I have plans to stay in India in the month of July.

Many thanks

Comment

I have already answered to the best of my knowledge. Maybe you will be satisfied if someone else answers your question. You can also talk to VFS helpdesk to get more clarification.

Originally posted by bd_delhi View Post
            Hi Shervin,

Thanks for your responses. I am sorry but may be I slightly confused the situation. So, I am restating my situation and questions. I will appreciate your response and help.

I am currently on H1 B with an academic institution A (in City X). My visa expires in June 2013 though my job contract ends in June, 2012. I have received a new academic job offer from Institution B (in City Y) with a start up date of August, 2012. I am relocating to City Y in this month end. After that I will be leaving for India so that I can come back directly to City Y to begin my new job with the institution B around beginning of August. Also so that the month of July when I am not employed by any institution, I will be in India.

1. Is it fine to give City Y as my home address as by the date of my interview my new address will be City Y? By the time of interview I will be still employed by Institution A (in City X) with a valid visa (so I am in status), though I will be in India for visa interview and vacation

2. When I will be applying for a new visa with my new employers new petition, will it create problem by giving city Y as my home address as in July I dont have a job? However, I have plans to stay in India in the month of July.

Many thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X