Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 Change of status

Hi,
    My wife is planning to do MS. She is currently staying in US on H4 visa. Her main intention is to get OPT after the course. We are planning to convert H4 to F1 before starting the course. Since she is planning to take MS from a private university, there is no separate in-state/out-state fee.

We are planning to initiate COS while she is in US and not going for stamping. What are the documents to be submitted to USCIS for the change of status. Is the financial proof should be in the form of bank letter or can I sponsor her showing my employment letter, pay stubs etc. We currently don't have enough funds in the account.

Thank you,
    snt

You will need as proof of current status, her I-94 copy both sides, passport copy, Visa copy (if any), your H1 petition approval notice copy, and last 2 months paystubs.
    For future requested status, original I-20, SEVIS fee receipt and proof of available funds.
    Add to that copy of marriage certificate and a cover letter.

Generally, schools require you to show available funds before they issue I-20. Generally, immediately available funds are needed for first year of study (savings, checking, fixed deposits etc.). It is up to USCIS's discretion if they can accept other evidence of available funds such your future pay expectation, as such difficult to predict if they will accept it. The school's international advisor may know.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

I am in same boat.

Hi,

I would really appreciate if one of you can answer my following queries.

1) Actually my passport will expire in first week of may 2014 and am planning to apply for change of visa status (H4 to F1) in November 2nd week 2013 so left with just 6 months or less on my passport prior to application. Will it have any negative effect or shud i issue my new passport first?
      2) My wife is sponsoring me and I have a friend sponsoring me as well but He has his fund in Internet bank (no physical branch/office) in USA. He can provide me financial statements and his sponsorship letter. I just want to know if there is any problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

H4 - f1 cos - doubts on answering i 539 form

hello everyone, My current situation is I am on H4 visa and have been in USA for the past one year. Now I have got admission in a school so I am trying to change my status from h4 to f1. My questions are on form i539, q.no 3g which says -

Have you, or any other person included in this application, been employed in the United States since last admitted or granted an extension or change of status? for which my answer is NO. On answering NO, the second part of the question states as -

If you answered "No" to Question 3g in Part 4 on Page 3 of this form, fully describe how you are supporting yourself. Include the source, amount and basis for any income.

Now do I need to explain on how I am supporting myself currently when on H4 or How I would support myself when on F1?? or both as in present and future plans?

Kindly help me out with this question. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X