Quixtar and Amway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quixtar and Amway

New H1 holders in the U.S., be on the look out for these Quixstar and Amway bugs especially when you are shopping groceries. These bugs are “always on the look out for new people to join their club”. Read club as Pyramid.

I have been hit by at least 4 of these suckers in the last year and half.

This is what happened yesterday.

Finally, a plague bug hit me again after some time. But this time, a non-Indian and surprisingly a black mid-age lady probably around 45ish. That too at the Whole Foods Market! Isn’t that unusual? I think it is. I looked at her and she kept looking right in my eyes. I didn’t realize that this might be it and said hi. That was the beginning.

She followed me, came up to me, and asked “Are you an Engineer?” At first, I was like oh please don’t tell me this a Psychic reader trying to rip me off (that would have been fun though ). She goes “Murli (or some name like this) told me that most Indians are Engineers either a Mechanical Engineer or in IT”. I said to myself this Murli dude is an idiot. All kinds of generalization began to surface thanks to these Quixstar bug masters’ teaching their preys how to hunt an Indian. Without any clue, I started conversing and correcting her false concepts thinking probably she will ask for some money or something and let me go. Then came the usual invitation asking if I would like make money on the side and that “they are always on the look out for people” (I can see that obviously). My next question was “Is this like Quixtstar or Amway?” She nodded her head. I said I did my research into those and I don’t like them and besides I don’t have time. My cousin called me and I said I gotta go.

Now, I think I have had enough. Next time a bug hits me, I will start making fun of him/her and fill them with doubts whether what they are doing is right thing to do. Stay tuned for fun as I am sure someone else will hit me again in a not-too-distant future.

Market is Hot !
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

There are many H1b folks that think joining Quixtar or Amway is okay or earning money by Google Adsense is okay.

To clear up the misconceptions,

NO NO NO. It is a big NO. You CANNOT work on such part time business projects while on H1b visa. It is plain ILLEGAL no matter what the advocates of these say.

DMX,

Hope you were not too traumatized by this experience as it is your 4th such encounter, you are now a pro in handling these bugs. Next time, I run into one, I will refer them to you

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b

DMX,

Hope you were not too traumatized by this experience as it is your 4th such encounter, you are now a pro in handling these bugs. Next time, I run into one, I will refer them to you
      I am thinking about kind of taking advantage of these bugs for my entertainment. I will prepare and rehearse rhetoric like the so-called great speakers of some churches do. The idea is to use soft language to kill the bugs who like to use soft language to hunt people. I used to get mad but still maintain restraint. Now, I will be using some sarcasm on them.

All tips from people who have been in the U.S. for at least 5 yrs and are eligible for EB-2 I-140 will be highly appreciated.
      Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Caution!!!

This happened to me 5 months back. I was shopping in Walmart with my husband. I usually have a friendly smile whenever I see babies. This couple (Desi) had a baby. I was smiling at the baby. After a while, husband and wife started their friendly talk. Finally, they got my phone no.

After 1 week, the couples called me and said that they want to talk business. My husband asked them whether it has something to do with Quickstar like thing. They said they cannot talk in phone and they want to see in person. I visited them (drove almost 27 miles) with my husband (my husband was not interested though). The couples were talking something about business for 3 hours and they didnot even mention the name Quickstar once. Finally they said the word. My husband conveyed his disinterest to them. Later they started talking like what happens if you lose your job? ......You have to learn how to be a millionaire in 10 years.... type of thing.

We said goodbye to them and he advised me not to give the phone no.s to anyone from nowon.

According to our point of view, we are not suggesting 'Quickstar' is good or bad. But if someone is not interested, please DO NOT try to drag them on to this.

Comment

Statistics show that Wal-Mart is the hunting ground used by these people. Lessons learned is that "Never look at anyone while at Wal-Mart and Kohls". Unless, you are willing to give them shxt and thereby entertaining yourself.

Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Not to mention the name "Quixtar" is how they are trained to continue a conversation. They use hifi words like ebusiness, work from home, be your own boss blah blah blah.

Hope you got a energy drink that tastes yuck manufactured especially for Quixtar that cannot be purchased elsewhere in the stores as a compensation for driving the 27 miles.

They used to do presentations in minivans by coming to the prospective clients' homes. The gas prices is probably making them invite people over to their place instead.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Shoot! You should have asked them to compensate you for mileage...

Anyway, a couple was good source of entertainment for me on a weekend 3 yrs ago at THEIR place, they picked me up to "show me the plan". Good thing is the wifey was cute and it was so good to talk to her. I completely ignored the guy (I'm sure he must be fuming inside... lol). Thats how I was able to bear through "the plan".

But later on they really insisted me for a second meet, with another couple to explain how they too were so rich to not need their job anymore (resigned!) and stay home all day taking care of business online! They insisted too much, they really got on my nerve and MADE me say yes! On the evening of appointment, I went out and never picked their call, they waited for over an hour outside my place. Never called again!

Comment

Originally posted by orion
                Good thing is the wifey was cute and it was so good to talk to her. I completely ignored the guy (I'm sure he must be fuming inside... lol). Thats how I was able to bear through "the plan".
                Dang! You were lucky.

All the time I was struck by some "entrepreneurs", it was guys until yesterday's ugly lady. I don't blame you for listening through the "plan" from a cute voice (I imagine).

But, the thing that pissed me off the first time was the so-called idea of comparing the pyramid business to McDonald’s and trying to give me the illusion that no investment is needed.
                Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Luckily, I have never sat through a presentation or been tortured to the extent as you guys. Most of my run-ins have been at Best Buy and Grocery Stores. One such run-in involved a lady asking my wife about an Indian recipe in the aisle and my unsuspecting wife was explaining it until I walked by. Needless to say, the harm was already done by providing the phone number by then. The number gets stored as "Ignore Ignore" on the phone till this day

Comment

One time a guy at Kohls trapped my dad who visited me for a couple months in early 2008. My dad thought that it felt good to talk to someone from our own country and was all happy about it. Then, I went up to him and then came the usual question. This is the thing, new comers are easily trapped and they know it.
                    Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

All this talk makes me curious as to attend their presentation and find out how many scapegoats they could get to one of the presentations, laugh silently and ask stupid questions. This would also educate me about their tricks of the trade. What do you guys think? Next time, when I have a free weekend and I run into one of them, I will share my email rather than the phone number and see if I can attend.

I am not the type of person that they can sell something even if they are ready to pay me for buying stuff anyway. No issues there.

Comment

I had similar experience from one mid-aged person from India (named Ismile).

I was outside Indian sweets and spices in california along with my wife parking car. One person got down from his Mercedes-Benz and came to me. He asked me "excuse me, are you a software engineer". I said yes. Then he continued, "my sister is running a recruitment company and she is looking for good candidates, can you please get me your number so that she can give you job details and you just forward them to any of your friends who may be interested."

I found it ok to gave him my cell number, at the same late night I rcvd call from one of his associate and he told me "my partner met you in the afternoon and he was very impressed with you. We have some management opportunity so can we meet personally whenever possible.?"

so I told him that, it was about software job what is management. he said , we can discuss once we meet.

So guys please be aware....especially married couples.

conclusion:
                        If anybody trying to be more frankly with you in the first meeting and asking for your contact number then there is problem.
                        Last edited by itzprams; 05-28-2008, 07:33 PM.
                        I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Consult professionals before getting into an action.

Comment

Another thing just popped up my head from the first encounter. I was visited by a couple in their second visit. The wife (unfortunately not good looking - just kidding ) claimed to be a Doctor. I seriously doubt that she was a doctor. I guess they also give out **** certificates. The point was to prove that a doctor does not need to work because she makes all this money with this business.

They don't even ask where we want to meet. They just call and come to "your place" because they fcking want your family members (wife) to listen as well. They say it's something that both of us can do. If I am discussing business, why would I meet at my place and not some place as Coffee shop? They just want to get into your house/apartment. If the idea is similar to McDonald’s, then why not meet at McDonald’s so that they have something of a real time example, you know.

Enough of my frustrations.

One of these days.......
                          Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Happened to may of my friends while in school on F1 visa. As poor graduate students, we were all posting resumes for internships and FT positions while the market was heading south and the economy was not so good.

People would just get excited if they get a call from anyone for a job interview. These people held accounts from job sites like monster and post a phony ad or wade through resumes in a particular zip code, call them for the "interview". Some of the students shelled out as much as $50 or more to hire a cab for the interview during those tough times. Once they get there, it is the usual crap.

These cheap fellas resort to all sorts of tricks to fool unsuspecting and naive people and recruit them into their clan.

Comment

I feel sorry for those students.

Once I have enough of these Klansmen get kicked by me, I am going to write a book. Diary of DMX: Adventures into the Pyramids.

Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X