Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to re-enter USA, My "Green card" has no expiration date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to re-enter USA, My "Green card" has no expiration date?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. My green card was issued in 1978, at the point when there was no expiration date placed on them. I came back to my home country in 1980's and now after nearly 32 years, I want to come back to USA . Kindly tell me how to enter in USA and how to apply for my new permanent resident card. I have few questions. Kindly answer them.

1) Can I enter to USA with my existing green card and then apply for a new permanent resident card by filing Form I-90, along with the filing and biometric fees.?

2) If not, Should I have to come on Visit visa first and then apply for my new permanent resident card ?

3) Would I be able to e-file (online)?

4) What is the correct and complete procedure to re-enter USA in my situation ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Originally posted by peace9 View Post
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. My green card was issued in 1978, at the point when there was no expiration date placed on them. I came back to my home country in 1980's and now after nearly 32 years, I want to come back to USA . Kindly tell me how to enter in USA and how to apply for my new permanent resident card. I have few questions. Kindly answer them.

1) Can I enter to USA with my existing green card and then apply for a new permanent resident card by filing Form I-90, along with the filing and biometric fees.?

2) If not, Should I have to come on Visit visa first and then apply for my new permanent resident card ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
    You left the country 32 years ago. You haven't been a resident for (at least) 31 years. The fact that the card itself has no expiration date doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you abandoned your status as a resident.

You will need to apply again for an immigrant visa - from scratch - either family based or employment based.

Comment

I think my green card is still valid because it doesn't have an expiry date. I just want to know the right procedure.

Comment

I think my green card is still valid because it doesn't have an expiry date. I just want to know the right procedure.
        The validity of the card has nothing to do with keeping status. In other words: Mr Peace10 becomes a legal permanent resident on September 1st, 2012. He's given a card which is valid for 10 years - he has to renew the card on September 1st, 2022. Even if he DOES NOT renew the card, as long as he remains in the US (or leaves for short periods of time), he's still a permanent resident.

But was Mr Peace10 to leave the US to go to his country on September 2nd, 2012 - and return on September 2nd, 2044 - he's been gone for 32 years. He hasn't maintained a residence for 30+ years - hasn't lived in the US, worked in the US, paid taxes in the US.

So - even if your card has no expiration date, you haven't maintained your PR status. For all intent and purposes, you stopped being an LPR about 30 years ago. Go to https://www.immihelp.com/retain-greencard-useful-tips/ and read the section "Maintaining Permanent Residence".

Comment

@ mickey_mouse

I lived in the US for like 10 years, I Worked in the US, and I did paid taxes in the US.

@ ALL

Everyone is giving me negative answers and demotivating me. I want to know the correct procedure to renew my green card and to enter US. Earlier reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

@ mickey_mouse

I lived in the US for like 10 years, I Worked in the US, and I did paid taxes in the US.
            Yes - you *did*. But you haven't done so for 32 years. Did you even read the information at the link I've provided you with ?

@ ALL

Everyone is giving me negative answers and demotivating me. I want to know the correct procedure to renew my green card and to enter US. Earlier reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
            You really don't want to understand, right? You asked this same question in another immigration site, and you're getting the same answers over there - you just don't listen. Your LPR status expired at least 30 years ago. You're not an LPR - you *were* an LPR.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_mouse View Post
              You left the country 32 years ago. You haven't been a resident for (at least) 31 years. The fact that the card itself has no expiration date doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you abandoned your status as a resident.

You will need to apply again for an immigrant visa - from scratch - either family based or employment based.
              I have a question my green card was issue in 1988, I have heard everything , but I have to travel for a family emergency. I haven't travel outside of the US often, my question is. What should I use for expiration date. I don't have time to get a new one right now. And I know they are going to have trouble with that part in Panama.

Comment

The "no-expiration" Green Cards were recalled about 20+ years ago, though there was no penalty for applying "later" for the 10-year cards. In your case, however, you can get on a plane and try to enter the U.S. with your "no expiration" Green Card, and one of three things will happen:

1. You might be turned right around and returned to your home country.
                2. You might receive only a cursory glance and be allowed in because the agent doesn't ask you the date of your last exit.
                3. The agent may realize your card is the "no expiration" type which was recalled over 20 years ago, and/or get you to admit when you last left the U.S., and you might be allowed in, but scheduled for an Immigration Court hearing.

Take your choice of any of the above, as they have all happened to others with similar circumstances.

You might also apply for a visitor visa.

-Ray B

Dear Sir/Madam,

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Comment

Please kindly advise sir.

Dear sir,

My mom is in the exact situation with having her green card with "no expiration date" which she hasn't used for many years. Can you please kindly advise what you end up doing, and what happened?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

TC

Dear Sir/Madam,

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Comment

Use your existing Green Card to reenter the U.S. Apply for a replacement card using form I-90 and $450 fee.

--Ray B

Originally posted by TC Wu View Post
                    Dear sir,

My mom is in the exact situation with having her green card with "no expiration date" which she hasn't used for many years. Can you please kindly advise what you end up doing, and what happened?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

TC

Comment

Thank you Ray. However, I heard that she might have trouble entering the US given that she hasn't been back for a while. I am concerned about her green card getting confiscated and leaving a black mark, which might make it harder for her to apply for green card in the future (if needed). What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                      Use your existing Green Card to reenter the U.S. Apply for a replacement card using form I-90 and $450 fee.

--Ray B

Comment

You haven't given enough information to provide you with a qualified answer When did your mom last leave the U.S.? Did she have a Reentry Permit in case she was expecting to be out a year or more?

--Ray B

Originally posted by TC Wu View Post
                        Thank you Ray. However, I heard that she might have trouble entering the US given that she hasn't been back for a while. I am concerned about her green card getting confiscated and leaving a black mark, which might make it harder for her to apply for green card in the future (if needed). What are your thoughts?

Comment

Sorry to bring this old thread

I just want to clarify that Green Cards with no expiration dates are valid, I am one living proof who abandoned her green card 30 years ago and got mines renewed after 6 months. I went NY from UK with visa waiver and ended up marrying yay!. My husband applied for AOS but before he did that I went to several lawyers to ask them if I could renew my abandoned green card and they all gave me the red flag. Exactly the same replies on this thread. So my husband applies for a spouse visa and a letter comes home they denied his petition!, on the grounds, "You are already a permanent resident in the United States". I visited an immigration officer and he told me that USCIS are actually encouraging travelers to come forward to renew their outstanding permanent resident cards without expiration dates, due to critical national security, and that cards issued between 1977 to 1989 are still recognized and valid by USCIS. I received my new green card stating my residence since 1987 and it is valid for 10 years. Not only that, my parents and siblings in the UK also were in the predicament that their green cards are invalid, after my luck, we asked an immigration officer how would they go about renewing their green cards from the UK, we were advised the SB1 route, which was successful and all my family have now fresh green cards.

Thank you.

Comment

SB-1 Visa

Hi I'm in the same situation as you where in. Just wondering what explanation you and your family gave as to why you stayed outside the us for so long.
                            Thanks

Originally posted by Trottwood View Post
                            Sorry to bring this old thread

I just want to clarify that Green Cards with no expiration dates are valid, I am one living proof who abandoned her green card 30 years ago and got mines renewed after 6 months. I went NY from UK with visa waiver and ended up marrying yay!. My husband applied for AOS but before he did that I went to several lawyers to ask them if I could renew my abandoned green card and they all gave me the red flag. Exactly the same replies on this thread. So my husband applies for a spouse visa and a letter comes home they denied his petition!, on the grounds, "You are already a permanent resident in the United States". I visited an immigration officer and he told me that USCIS are actually encouraging travelers to come forward to renew their outstanding permanent resident cards without expiration dates, due to critical national security, and that cards issued between 1977 to 1989 are still recognized and valid by USCIS. I received my new green card stating my residence since 1987 and it is valid for 10 years. Not only that, my parents and siblings in the UK also were in the predicament that their green cards are invalid, after my luck, we asked an immigration officer how would they go about renewing their green cards from the UK, we were advised the SB1 route, which was successful and all my family have now fresh green cards.

Thank you.

Comment

Green card no expiration date

So if I have a old green card with. No expiration date and wanna travel for a family emergency and don't have time to do all that renovation of it can I come back in with no problems that's my question ??

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X