I had purchased Atlas America insurance for my parents through Insubuy when they visited me earlier this year. I decided to go for this US based insurance product thinking that I might not end up using it but just in case if there is any emergency it will be better compared to products from India since most of the hospital accept Atlas America produce. Now, when I look back I realize that not only did I choose a great product but also great companies like Insubuy who have been with me through all the hardships I faced in last few months.
I made the policy effective on the day my parents were supposed to arrive in USA. Their travel was fine but the problem started after the flight landed. While alighting from the flight, my mom felt dizzy and fell. When she regained consciousness she had difficulty breathing. From the terminal she was directly taken to emergency where she was diagnosed for Pulmonary Embolism. She stayed in ICU for 2 days and had follow up checkups and medication for next 4 months. The total bill crossed 40K.
I got the biggest shock of my life when all the bills were declined stating pre-existing conditions. This is when Sir Narendra Khatri stepped in. I got in touch with him and submitted all the documents from hospital and attending physicians. With his help, we appealed the claim denial and after submitting all the documents the case was approved. Once the case was approved, HCCMIS which administers the product paid all the bills as per the contract pretty quickly. All through the ordeal, Narendra sir was in constant in touch with me providing direction on next steps as well as giving the status of the claims and also with HCCMIS following up religiously on the claim payment status. I cannot thank him enough for all the help he has done over the last few months.
Coming to the claims approval process, here are some of the tips from my experience:
- Ensure that the policy is effective before the travel itself. Some people make it effective after their parents reach USA which is not a good idea.
- In the event of emergency, the last thing you will think of is calling up the insurance company and setting up pre-authorization. But, this is one important step that you cannot afford to miss. If its an emergency, HCCMIS will allow 48 hours to complete pre-authorization.
- Collect all the medical records from hospital and attending physicians
- Register in the insurance portal(in my case HCCMIS) and keep checking the status regularly
- Follow up with insurance provider, hospital and attending physicians if any of the claims are pending for long.
- In case any claims get denied do check with insurance provider on the reason for denial.
- And finally, keep Narendra sir/insubuy informed of the claims decision so that they can review and advise the next steps for you.
I will strongly advise purchasing any product through Insubuy. There are good products with them and Atlas America is one of the best products that you can choose.
I will end my note by extending my heartfelt thanks to Narendra sir and Insubuy.