U.S. Naturalization eligibility worksheet
What is the purpose of this worksheet?
The attached "Eligibility Worksheet" will help you decide if you are eligible to apply for naturalization. Do not send the completed worksheet to USCIS.

Who should complete this worksheet?
If you are 18 years of age or older and are thinking about applying for naturalization based on your years as a Permanent Resident, you should complete this worksheet.

Who should NOT use this worksheet?
You should not use this worksheet to decide if you are eligible if you are:
  • Under 18 years of age and want to apply for naturalization based on your parents' or adopted parents' citizenship (see questions in FAQ for information on how to obtain citizenship).
  • A Permanent Resident whose spouse was a U.S. citizen who died while on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (see your naturalization requirements).
  • Applying for naturalization based on active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces (see pages 18-19 in A Guide to Naturalization on your naturalization requirements).
  • A spouse of a U.S. citizen who is
    1. a member of the U.S. Armed Forces,
    2. an employee or contractor of the U.S. Government,
    3. an employee of an American institution of research,
    4. an employee of an American owned firm,
    5. an employee of a public international organization, or
    6. a clergy member
    (see requirements for more information).

Directions for the Eligibility Worksheet:
  1. Answer the questions on the worksheet by checking "True" or "Not True". If you answer "Not True" to certain questions, you may be asked to answer additional questions on pages 3-4. Most applicants will NOT need to answer the questions on pages 3-4.
  2. If you have completed the worksheet and believe you are eligible for naturalization, download Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
  3. If you have completed the worksheet and you still have questions regarding your eligibility, you should read this Guide to Naturalization. You may also wish to get advice from an immigrant assistance organization or immigration attorney.