Conversion of Business or Employment Visa into Entry Visa in India

Generally, Business Visas or Employment Visas cannot be converted into any other kind of visa during the stay in India. However, in the following circumstances, it can be converted with the prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs:

  1. Business/Employment Visa can be converted into an ‘X’ (Entry) Visa if the visa holder marries an Indian national during the validity of the visa and does not intend to continue on the Business/Employment visa. The following must be submitted for such conversion:
    1. A copy of the registered marriage certificate.

    2. Report from the concerned FRRO/FRO about the marital status which will inter-alia include his/her antecedents, confirmation about their living together, and security clearance.

  2. Persons of Indian Origin, who were otherwise entitled to an ‘X’ (Entry) visa, but have entered into India on Business/Employment can convert it into an ‘X’ Visa.

  3. Business/Employment Visa holders who fall ill after entering India and become unfit to travel and require specialized medical treatment can get it converted into a Medical Visa if they are eligible for it and a medical certificate is obtained from government/government-recognized hospitals.

    In such a case, the ‘X’ visa of family members/attendant accompanying the foreigner may also be converted into Medical Attendant [Med X] Visa that will terminate at the same time as the Medical Visa.

    On conversion of Business/Employment visa into an ‘X’ visa / Medical Visa / ‘Med X’ Visa, there will be an endorsement made on the Passport / Residential Permit – “Employment/Business not permitted”.


  • Foreign nationals already in India for executing projects on a Business Visa can not extend their visa, and can not convert into Employment Visa without leaving India.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400