If you’re an Indian undergraduate transferring to a US university, you’re in luck. US universities have a standardized curriculum and a flexible academic credit transfer system. This makes it easy to transfer without losing your hard-earned credits.
Every year, over one million students transfer to a US university. This figure includes over 100,000 Indian students enrolled in UG courses in non-US universities. Here’s a quick guide on how to transfer credits from India to the US.
Criteria for transferring from Indian universities to US universities
There’s a significant difference between the bachelor courses in India and those in the US. A bachelor’s degree in Indian universities is traditionally a three-year program. In the US, the undergraduate studies comprise a four-year curriculum. For transfer to a US university, you must meet these criteria:
- You must have completed at least one year in your original university in India.
- Your performance at your original university should have been satisfying, if not outstanding. If you’re aiming for a top US university, having higher grades will help your case.
- You should preferably be in your second year in your original university, or awaiting the results for the second year. Most US universities require students to undergo at least two years of residency to be eligible for a bachelor’s degree. So, it’s rare for US universities to accept Indian students who are in their last year of an undergraduate course.
How to transfer credits from Indian Universities to US universities?
The credit transfer process isn’t complex or lengthy, but there are certain parameters you must focus on to avoid facing undue lags and complications. These are:
The application timeline
- You should prepare to apply to your chosen US university at least one year before the date of enrollment for your selected course. The deadlines for transfer and freshman applications are usually different. Make sure not to confuse the two dates.
- If you’re a transfer applicant planning to enroll during the fall semester, you should send in your application by early spring (the months of February and March). If you’re looking to enroll during the spring, you should submit your application by early autumn (the month of October).
- Not all US universities have application deadlines. Some of them have priority dates for receiving applications. It’s best that you contact the US University you wish to join and gather these details well ahead of time.
Most US universities conduct an evaluation of the courses you’ve studied in India. This involves a thorough mapping of the courses to identify similarities and differences with the US courseware. The evaluation ensures that you don’t repeat the studies that you’ve already completed. The credit transfer process depends on the results of this evaluation.
Your grading and credit calculation by the US University may be different than the Indian universities. Also, some of your credits from studying in India may not get transferred to your US school. The evaluation process usually takes several weeks, so it’s best that you begin the application process early.
US university credit transfer policy
While the credit transfer policy may vary from one US university to another, the key aspects are generally the same. These are:
- Academic credits can only be transferred if your college or university is duly recognized by an apex statutory authority such as the University Grants Commission (UGC) or the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
- You must have earned a C grade (or a higher grade) in your studies in India to be eligible for transferring to a US university.
- Even if the US University you enroll in transfers all of your past academic credits, you will still need to earn a certain amount of additional credits with the US University in order to complete the course.
Student Visa InsuranceGet Quotes
For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.Visit insubuy.com or call 1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400
Student Insurance RequirementsRead Article
Documents required for transferring to a US university
Here is the list of documents you’ll need to submit with your transfer application:
- Your mark sheets from matriculation and Class 12. These need to be duly attested by your school/college principal.
- Documents supporting your SAT and TOEFL scores.
- Documents in support of your financial ability to pay for expenses involved in your education in the US. These expenses can range from US dollars 10000 to 30000 per annum.
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) that explains your reason for seeking transfer to the particular US University and course.
- Documents supporting any certification courses you may have undertaken, listing the curriculum, study material, laboratory work and total number of hours involved in the course.
- Letters of recommendation from your teachers/professors. These should describe your personality, motivations, strengths and weaknesses. These must contain an honest assessment of your character and conduct as a student in India.
- To apply as a transfer student, you’ll need to submit the aforementioned documents to the university. You’ll also need to fill out the transfer application form and pay the application fee. The university may also ask for some supplemental documents related to your personal or academic background.
- The university can ask you to write an admission essay related to your educational aspirations and expectations for the university you’re applying to.
- Most US universities don’t have any additional admission exams for transfer students. The university you’re applying to may still ask you to take part in some manner of evaluation before accepting you as a transfer student.
Additionally, as an international student, you will be required to have an insurance policy for the entire duration of your stay in the US. There are multiple options for you. You can usually purchase through your school, or you can find a plan through Insubuy.
For students from India, the process of credit transfer to US universities is easy to follow. It’s the high competition that you need to prepare for. Begin planning early, check all application data for errors, and make sure all admission criteria and conditions are satisfied. Finally, make sure your essays and SOP are honest and high on clarity. Taking care of these factors will create a strong application that the university is most likely to accept.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?