X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vanessa24 View Post
    @Nick213 and @luckycharm4111
    To answer you and others who have asked,
    1. I'm the principal. So I think it's pretty rare to be called for an interview.
    2. The officer never told me what was the reason, and I didn't dare to ask
    3. Well the officer didn't ask any question specific to the underlying asylum, but it did come up in some other question the officer asked. To me, the overall experience was not as lighthearted as for those who were having marriage-based GC interviews. I saw officers smiling at and greeting those people, while my officer had a solemn look which did make me a bit nervous. The officer first asked me to take an oath (which I think is for everyone). Then we went over my addresses and my employment history, and a slew of yes or no questions. However there was this particular question that the officer asked me to explain in details which is my past association with the communist party. I’m from a communist country and joined the party’s youth league while in school. Fortunately, I formally renounced my association many years ago after becoming aware of the atrocious nature of the party. The officer asked about when I joined, why I joined, how I renounced the association and how I learned about the renouncement movement etc. And this is also where it touched upon the underlying asylum. The officer typed down every word I said and had me sign it. I’m not sure if this was the whole reason for the interview or if I was just randomly picked as I said I didn’t ask... But I’m glad I was able to clean that off, so that there will be no future risks of having my GC revoked due to concealment or something. In the end, the officer gave me a piece of paper saying my case will be under review and it may take 120 days for a decision. Luckily it was approved after a week.

Thank you everyone! Hope this can provide some insight for those in need.
    What did you answer in your form I485 for the question have you ever been a member of form I485, you simply said yes or no or gave any explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jasmine22 View Post
      Hey Guys,

I was wondering If anyone of you has traveled outside of US with an asylum based pending I-485. Mine has been pending since March 2019 at TSC.

I do have an active advance parole that expires in March 2020 and I have just applied for a new travel document.

I badly need to travel outside of US, but I'm very anxious about it. I've heard this is pretty risky and high chances to not be allowed to come back. Please share experiences.

Thanks and let us hear great news soon!
      Asylees with a pending Form I-485 DO NOT require to have an Advance Parole, You are required to have a U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) to re-enter the United States. I have travelled several places Canada, Dominican Republic, Kingdom of Netherlands, Kingdom of Belgium and the Bahamas. Asylees are free to travel but must do so with a U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) and not an Advance Parole. All information you need is on USCIS.gov, The form to apply for the U.S. Refugee Travel Document is Form I-131.

Comment

• The Trump Administration is making it harder to obtain immigration benefits. Wait times are even worse now to discourage people from remaining in the United States. Your Permanent Residency Card will come in the right time. As an asylee, You are a legal resident in the United States, You are legal to work and you have unrestricted travel to foreign countries with your U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571). It is frustrating I know, but you have the ability to do all things you need to do legally. This administration is anti-immigrant, your only responsibility is to follow the laws of the United States and don't get yourself in trouble, as they are finding the simplest of things to remove you from the United States. Finally, for those who lie in legal documents submitted to immigration be careful if they find out, you are in a lot of immigration trouble. Be well! I will off to Amsterdam in the Kingdom of Netherlands at the end of March. Be well everyone!

Comment

Feeling hopeless
          There is nothing to be hopeless about! Aren't you an asylee legal to work, legal to travel? Then what is the issue! You have legal status, use the opportunity to travel and enjoy your life here in the United States in spite of the anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Comment

• One more thing, don't waste your time calling USCIS, they are a third party service that answers the phone on the behalf of immigration unless you require an update to document or an emergency Refugee Travel Document or Advance Parole. If you are an asylee, then relax and take it one day at a time.

Comment

• As an Asylee, let's say I got my green card and marry (after I get my GC) to an undocumented immigrant (but was in the US through a valid visa). Can I apply for her Adjustment of Status or do i have to wait to be a citizen to process it? Thank you so much

Comment

• Originally posted by Asylee Expert View Post

Asylees with a pending Form I-485 DO NOT require to have an Advance Parole, You are required to have a U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) to re-enter the United States. I have travelled several places Canada, Dominican Republic, Kingdom of Netherlands, Kingdom of Belgium and the Bahamas. Asylees are free to travel but must do so with a U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) and not an Advance Parole. All information you need is on USCIS.gov, The form to apply for the U.S. Refugee Travel Document is Form I-131.
                Thank you, sir! Appreciate your encouragement!

When returning to US, after traveling outside during your pending I-485, was passing the US Customs Border process smooth? What questions did they ask If you don't mind sharing?

Thank you very much!

Comment

There is nothing to be hopeless about! Aren't you an asylee legal to work, legal to travel? Then what is the issue! You have legal status, use the opportunity to travel and enjoy your life here in the United States in spite of the anti-immigrant rhetoric.
                  Yes, sir. I'm a derivative asylee, with legal rights to work. Badly need to travel outside now. One of my family members got very sick, and at the same time, many attorneys discourage traveling during a pending I-485 even with a Refugee Travel Doc.

The day I was told on what happened, run in tears to the Congressman and wrote USCIS a letter, asking for an update as I was anxious to travel. Obviously, they said that the case is within processing times, so that did not help, nor that I expected it to help.

I'm glad you had no issues coming back during your pending I-485. Maybe I should try too..It's just when I think that I've spent all this time in US for nothing, so when I come back, they won't let me in, I'm obviously anxious. I'm also not planning on traveling to the country of persecution!

Comment

Some people need gc because they get more opportunities some job you need a greencard. So I am the one who really need gc right because of I waste my time to start my dream job.

Comment

• Originally posted by antihistamine View Post

applied in Jan 2019-no updates
                      Not even the biometrics appointment?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatori1980 View Post

Some people need gc because they get more opportunities some job you need a greencard. So I am the one who really need gc right because of I waste my time to start my dream job.
                        I see your pain. From what I personally know, no employers in the US shall limit your rights to work for them, just because you're an asylee and not an adjusted resident. Are you sure having a GC is a required condition? If so, how is that related to the company's policies and your legal rights as an immigrant?

Comment

The Trump Administration is making it harder to obtain immigration benefits. Wait times are even worse now to discourage people from remaining in the United States. Your Permanent Residency Card will come in the right time. As an asylee, You are a legal resident in the United States, You are legal to work and you have unrestricted travel to foreign countries with your U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571). It is frustrating I know, but you have the ability to do all things you need to do legally. This administration is anti-immigrant, your only responsibility is to follow the laws of the United States and don't get yourself in trouble, as they are finding the simplest of things to remove you from the United States. Finally, for those who lie in legal documents submitted to immigration be careful if they find out, you are in a lot of immigration trouble. Be well! I will off to Amsterdam in the Kingdom of Netherlands at the end of March. Be well everyone!
                          Mmm...what about Nebraska then? Why is Nebraska processing quicker than Texas then? In my opinion, If it was because of Trump administration, Nebraska would have had the same issues in this sense, since we are all under the same umbrella..

Comment

Mmm...what about Nebraska then? Why is Nebraska processing quicker than Texas then? In my opinion, If it was because of Trump administration, Nebraska would have had the same issues in this sense, since we are all under the same umbrella..
                            Maybe because quite a few potentially swing states are served by the TSC (Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, and even Texas)? And these states can play a very significant part especially in the 2024 elections, considering that immigrants tend to be a more democratic-leaning group of voters.
                            Last edited by DennisV; 02-07-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• It seems as if the TSC has almost stopped processing GC applications. Raising a service request might be useless, since they prob would come up with a generic response #sad. But contacting one's congressperson, and asking them to make a formal inquiry into the extend of the backlog at the TSC, and why the cases basically stopped moving. The Nebraska Service Center, in contrast, does a good job. So all the transfers from Nebraska to Texas they've arranged so far, have been basically useless, or in fact made the backlog much worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisV View Post

Maybe because quite a few potentially swing states are served by the TSC (Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, and even Texas)? And these states can play a very significant part especially in the 2024 elections, considering that immigrants tend to be a more democratic-leaning group of voters.
                                Do you also have a pending I-485? Let us know about your timeline, If you dont mind.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X