Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post
    I received my EAD last month , I don't think Green card will be processed anytime soon.

I hope I am wrong but never know, just keeping that dream .........

Is there anyone who got EAD and their GC got approved in the next month or so ?
    I got ead last month too
    waiting since then for geeen card

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny1122 View Post

Coming soon
      where r u in nyc?
      I was in NYC before. Just moved to MD this year

Comment

• I see people saying Asylum Approved, then after 1 year they applied I-485. What is meant my Asylum approved? When you file for Asylum, in approx 30 days you receive I-797 Receipt Notice. Can someone help with steps after that?

Comment

• Any lawyer recommendation who has successfully filed and got Asylum approved for an Indian Citizen profile.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnkasy View Post
            I see people saying Asylum Approved, then after 1 year they applied I-485. What is meant my Asylum approved? When you file for Asylum, in approx 30 days you receive I-797 Receipt Notice. Can someone help with steps after that?
            You have to interview and wait for the result approval or denial this is can take 1months to 10 years to get your result
            after one year of granted asylum mean approved you can apply for green card. If your case is denied you have to go to immigration court they will decide you case again if you got approved from immigration court after one year you can apply for i-485 or if immigration court denied you. You might be deported from the country.

the most important one is you should apply for asylum before one year of your arrival.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatori1980 View Post

You have to interview and wait for the result approval or denial this is can take 1months to 10 years to get your result
              after one year of granted asylum mean approved you can apply for green card. If your case is denied you have to go to immigration court they will decide you case again if you got approved from immigration court after one year you can apply for i-485 or if immigration court denied you. You might be deported from the country.

the most important one is you should apply for asylum before one year of your arrival.
              Does everyone get called for Asylum interview? Or can you get approved without interview? Do we get I797 A Approval Notice or only I797 C Receipt Notice. Do we need to wait 1 year after Approval to apply for i485? My lawyer is saying he will file I485 along with initial Asylum filing.

Comment

Does everyone get called for Asylum interview? Or can you get approved without interview? Do we get I797 A Approval Notice or only I797 C Receipt Notice. Do we need to wait 1 year after Approval to apply for i485? My lawyer is saying he will file I485 along with initial Asylum filing.
                Be careful your lawyer sound like a scamer. Everyone has to interview even you apply after one year.

Comment

What type of visa are you applying for exactly? For example you can file i485 together with your i365 VAWA application. For i730 you'll have to get interviewed no matter when or how you apply

Comment

• Originally posted by makyo View Post

What type of visa are you applying for exactly? For example you can file i485 together with your i365 VAWA application. For i730 you'll have to get interviewed no matter when or how you apply
                    I will be applying for Asylum. What my lawyer told me is he will file I-589 and I-485 together. I am not sure how, from what I read here, people file I-589 and after 1year from Approval, file I-485. So got confused on how my lawyer can file both together. He also mentioned, interview is optional, not everyone gets called for it. But reading here, looks like everyone was called for it. So just trying to understand the whole process.

Comment

I will be applying for Asylum. What my lawyer told me is he will file I-589 and I-485 together. I am not sure how, from what I read here, people file I-589 and after 1year from Approval, file I-485. So got confused on how my lawyer can file both together. He also mentioned, interview is optional, not everyone gets called for it. But reading here, looks like everyone was called for it. So just trying to understand the whole process.
                      It looks like your lawyer is doing I-589 for the first time without any prior knowledge.

If I am you, I would have choose the lawyer who has prior experience in the I-589 petition.

I-589 is not a simple process, it has initial requirements to be eligible where lot of people fail.

In order to make your case stronger you need to have lot of documentation.

Once you send your application, Asylum officers will decide whether you meet the eligibility criteria or not then they will send you the receipt.

Interview is a crucial and important part of the application from which Asylum officers will make a decision on your application.

In my experience, I have seen lot of people who did more than one interview and still waiting for the decisions from years.
                      Last edited by luckycharm4111; 05-15-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

It looks like your lawyer is doing I-589 for the first time without any prior knowledge.

If I am you, I would have choose the lawyer who has prior experience in the I-589 petition.

I-589 is not a simple process, it has initial requirements to be eligible where lot of people fail.

In order to make your case stronger you need to have lot of documentation.

Once you send your application, Asylum officers will decide whether you meet the eligibility criteria or not then they will send you the receipt.

Interview is a crucial and important part of the application from which Asylum officers will make a decision on your application.

In my experience, I have seen lot of people who did more than one interview and still waiting for the decisions from years.
                        Thank you for the explanation. When I talked to him, he looked genuine & knowledgeable, with 100% track record. I can’t verify it so have to take his word for it. I again reached out to him about interview, he is adamant that Not everybody is called for interview.
                        Any lawyer recommendations? I am in Texas.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. When I talked to him, he looked genuine & knowledgeable, with 100% track record. I can’t verify it so have to take his word for it. I again reached out to him about interview, he is adamant that Not everybody is called for interview.
                          You can not talk with only one lawyer you have to talk with a few lawyers and compare the fee and how honest they are.
                          because most of lawyer always say your case is good no problem you will get it 100% this kind of lier only money those lawyer want don’t forget to ask the fee what is including some lawyer might be cheap later might charge you everything

Comment

Hi! First of all you should check your “lawyer’s” state license through The Texas State Bar.

Comment

LISTEN, YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR ASYLUM AND ADJUSTMENT TO PERMANENT RESIDENCY AT THE SAME TIME. It is not the law.

STEPS FROM ASYLUM TO CITIZENSHIP:
                              1) File for asylum affirmatively (you will be interviewed at an office) or defensively (you will be interviewed at the immigration court) within 1 year from last arrival in the US, do biometrics, be interviewed and be approved (hopefully) as an asylee.
                              2) Live in the US for 1 year as an asylee.
                              3) File your I485 at least 1 year from the date of your asylum approval. Only two USCIS offices adjudicate asylee-based green card applications: NSC and TSC. NSC is way way faster (3 to 6 months to approve) vs TSC (12 to 18 months to approve the I485 application).
                              4) Upon I485 approval, the approval date will be backdated by 1 year to account for your 1 year you lived as an asylee.
                              5) Live as a permanent resident for 4 more years from the day your I485 was approved, then file the N400.
                              6) Do your N400 biometrics, attend your citizenship interview, get approved (hopefully), attend your swearing-in oath ceremony and obtain your certificate of naturalization.

This is the process. Any deviation from this process is not legal US immigration law.

Your lawyer does not sound like he's knowledgeable in asylum-related matters. He may be knowledgeable in other areas of immigration law but asylum immigration law is a dicey and somewhat complicated process that you need an asylum-specific lawyer to handle.

In summary, find another lawyer.

My 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

LISTEN, YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR ASYLUM AND ADJUSTMENT TO PERMANENT RESIDENCY AT THE SAME TIME. It is not the law.

STEPS FROM ASYLUM TO CITIZENSHIP:
                                1) File for asylum affirmatively (you will be interviewed at an office) or defensively (you will be interviewed at the immigration court) within 1 year from last arrival in the US, do biometrics, be interviewed and be approved (hopefully) as an asylee.
                                2) Live in the US for 1 year as an asylee.
                                3) File your I485 at least 1 year from the date of your asylum approval. Only two USCIS offices adjudicate asylee-based green card applications: NSC and TSC. NSC is way way faster (3 to 6 months to approve) vs TSC (12 to 18 months to approve the I485 application).
                                4) Upon I485 approval, the approval date will be backdated by 1 year to account for your 1 year you lived as an asylee.
                                5) Live as a permanent resident for 4 more years from the day your I485 was approved, then file the N400.
                                6) Do your N400 biometrics, attend your citizenship interview, get approved (hopefully), attend your swearing-in oath ceremony and obtain your certificate of naturalization.

This is the process. Any deviation from this process is not legal US immigration law.

Your lawyer does not sound like he's knowledgeable in asylum-related matters. He may be knowledgeable in other areas of immigration law but asylum immigration law is a dicey and somewhat complicated process that you need an asylum-specific lawyer to handle.

In summary, find another lawyer.

My 2 cents.
                                Thank You for the explanation. Appreciate it!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X