No announcement yet.

Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had submitted a service request, today I got response saying it is within processing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adugenet View Post

Not really. But might ask you the manner you entered the country - If you have lied when you applied for a non immigrant visa when you first come to the country. Other than that he will ask you basic biographical information you filled on the form. Name, date of birth, country etc... They will also ask you if you have criminal convictions, your job, where and with whom you live. Don’t ever try to lie to the officer as he already have your information from different sources. Good luck !
      Thanks, that is kind of expected.

Comment

• How long is the TD valid for when it’s issued?

Comment

• Originally posted by al3moudi View Post
          How long is the TD valid for when it’s issued?
          One Year

Comment

• Originally posted by waiting_waiting View Post
            I had submitted a service request, today I got response saying it is within processing time.
            Same for me

Comment

• Originally posted by lordofmovers View Post

how about travel after get LPR status to home country?
              U.S. Department of Homeland Security December 27, 2006 Fact Sheet
              Traveling Outside the United States as an Asylum Applicant, an Asylee, or a Lawful Permanent Resident Who Obtained Such Status Based on Asylum Status Asylum applicants, asylees, and lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum status are subject to special rules with regard to traveling outside the United States. This U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Fact Sheet describes the relevant statutes and regulations regarding traveling outside the United States as well as the consequences that could result if an asylum applicant, an asylee, or a lawful permanent resident who obtained such status based on his or her asylum status returns to his or her country of claimed persecution.
              Travel Outside the United States xAsylum Applicants: An asylum applicant who leaves the United States without first obtaining advance parole shall be presumed to have abandoned his or her asylum application. Advance parole (see: USCIS Form I-131) allows certain aliens to return to the United States without a visa after traveling abroad. Asylum applicants must receive advance parole before leaving the United States. Advance parole does not guarantee that the alien will be paroled into the United States. Rather, the asylum applicant must still undergo inspection by an immigration inspector from United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP).xAsylees: Asylees (individuals who have been granted asylum) may travel abroad with the prior approval of the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Such prior approval comes in the form of a refugee travel document. A refugee travel document is valid for one year and is issued to an asylee to allow his or her return to the United States after temporary travel abroad. Generally, the asylee should obtain the refugee travel document prior to departure from the United States, though the applicable regulations also permit the issuance of a refugee travel document abroad under certain circumstances. Like advance parole, a refugee travel document does not guarantee admission into the United States. Rather, the asylee must still undergo inspection by an immigration inspector from CBP.xLawful Permanent Residents: Lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum status may also travel abroad with refugee travel documents. -more-

Possible Consequences of Returning to the Country of Claimed Persecution An asylum applicant who leaves the United States without advance parole and returns to the country of claimed persecution shall be presumed to have abandoned his or her asylum application, unless the applicant is able to establish compelling reasons for the return. If an asylum applicant returns to his or her country of claimed persecution without advance parole, he or she should be prepared to explain the reason for the return. Asylum status may be terminated for specific reasons as listed in INA § 208(c)(2). An individual’s underlying asylum status may be terminated even if the individual has already become a lawful permanent resident.Returning to one’s country of claimed persecution may be relevant to a number of termination grounds. For instance, asylum status could be terminated based on a fundamental change in circumstances in the asylee’s country of persecution. Termination could also occur due to fraud in the asylum application such that the asylee was not eligible for asylum. Return to the country of feared persecution can, in some circumstances, be considered evidence that the asylee’s alleged fear of persecution is not genuine. In addition, termination of asylum status could occur if an “alien has voluntarily availed himself or herself of the protection of the alien’s country of nationality . . . by returning to such country with permanent resident status or the reasonable possibility of obtaining such status with the same rights and obligations pertaining to other permanent residents of that country.” Accordingly, an asylee or a lawful permanent resident who obtained such status based on a grant of asylum status may be questioned about why he or she was able to return to the country of claimed persecution and, in some circumstances, may be subject to proceedings to terminate asylum status. – USCIS – On March 1, 2003, U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services became one of three legacy INS components to join the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. USCIS is charged with fundamentally transforming and improving the delivery of immigration and citizenship se

Comment

• Hey guys I am currently applying for green card as an Asylee and waiting biometrics,however I am in school and I am in need of scholarships I know there are scholarships for us but I have no clue where I can apply for them. May I please get any assistance? Thank you in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by telewa View Post

Traveling Outside the United States as an Asylum Applicant, an Asylee, or a Lawful Permanent Resident Who Obtained Such Status Based on Asylum Status Asylum applicants, asylees, and lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum status are subject to special rules with regard to traveling outside the United States. This U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Fact Sheet describes the relevant statutes and regulations regarding traveling outside the United States as well as the consequences that could result if an asylum applicant, an asylee, or a lawful permanent resident who obtained such status based on his or her asylum status returns to his or her country of claimed persecution.
                  Travel Outside the United States xAsylum Applicants: An asylum applicant who leaves the United States without first obtaining advance parole shall be presumed to have abandoned his or her asylum application. Advance parole (see: USCIS Form I-131) allows certain aliens to return to the United States without a visa after traveling abroad. Asylum applicants must receive advance parole before leaving the United States. Advance parole does not guarantee that the alien will be paroled into the United States. Rather, the asylum applicant must still undergo inspection by an immigration inspector from United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP).xAsylees: Asylees (individuals who have been granted asylum) may travel abroad with the prior approval of the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Such prior approval comes in the form of a refugee travel document. A refugee travel document is valid for one year and is issued to an asylee to allow his or her return to the United States after temporary travel abroad. Generally, the asylee should obtain the refugee travel document prior to departure from the United States, though the applicable regulations also permit the issuance of a refugee travel document abroad under certain circumstances. Like advance parole, a refugee travel document does not guarantee admission into the United States. Rather, the asylee must still undergo inspection by an immigration inspector from CBP.xLawful Permanent Residents: Lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum status may also travel abroad with refugee travel documents. -more-

Possible Consequences of Returning to the Country of Claimed Persecution An asylum applicant who leaves the United States without advance parole and returns to the country of claimed persecution shall be presumed to have abandoned his or her asylum application, unless the applicant is able to establish compelling reasons for the return. If an asylum applicant returns to his or her country of claimed persecution without advance parole, he or she should be prepared to explain the reason for the return. Asylum status may be terminated for specific reasons as listed in INA § 208(c)(2). An individual’s underlying asylum status may be terminated even if the individual has already become a lawful permanent resident.Returning to one’s country of claimed persecution may be relevant to a number of termination grounds. For instance, asylum status could be terminated based on a fundamental change in circumstances in the asylee’s country of persecution. Termination could also occur due to fraud in the asylum application such that the asylee was not eligible for asylum. Return to the country of feared persecution can, in some circumstances, be considered evidence that the asylee’s alleged fear of persecution is not genuine. In addition, termination of asylum status could occur if an “alien has voluntarily availed himself or herself of the protection of the alien’s country of nationality . . . by returning to such country with permanent resident status or the reasonable possibility of obtaining such status with the same rights and obligations pertaining to other permanent residents of that country.” Accordingly, an asylee or a lawful permanent resident who obtained such status based on a grant of asylum status may be questioned about why he or she was able to return to the country of claimed persecution and, in some circumstances, may be subject to proceedings to terminate asylum status. – USCIS – On March 1, 2003, U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services became one of three legacy INS components to join the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. USCIS is charged with fundamentally transforming and improving the delivery of immigration and citizenship se
                  Does this apply to derivative asylees as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tadiwa View Post
                    Hey guys I am currently applying for green card as an Asylee and waiting biometrics,however I am in school and I am in need of scholarships I know there are scholarships for us but I have no clue where I can apply for them. May I please get any assistance? Thank you in advance
                    Contact to your school/College scholarships office or website.
                    I am on same status and I just got a regular scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by telewa View Post

The information in this document is outdated and is not valid.

BIA's ruling is binding for USCIS but this "fact sheet" bears no legal nor procedure effect.

As I said multiple times before, again and again, once you received green card you LOST your asylum status.

There is NO special rule for your international travel.

The only thing applies to you, regardless of how you got your green card, is the inadmissibility grounds all green card holders are subject to, which obviously don't include travel with your passport.

You can travel freely to any country, even to your home country.

Just keep in mind you are still subject to fraud inadmissibility ground, even after you become USC. USCIS can sue you and revoke your citizenship.

PS - Of course the congress always has the power to change laws. If one day they change the INA (which has already been proposed but never being picked up) to ban asylum based green card holder to travel back to home country, then you cannot travel. Before that, BIA's ruling is clear. You can travel. You are no longer a refugee after getting green card. Just keep in mind not to contradict yourself in your asylum claim.
                      Last edited by flando; 04-03-2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Anyone else with a pending I-485 have been stuck in July 17, 2020 with fingerprints?

Comment

• Okay guys, it's finally over.

Maybe 2 weeks ago was a year since I applied for a green card to NSC. I made a request out of normal processing time and it went through. And a week after they approved my case. Just received my green card today. I don't believe it was because of the request, but I think it was just time for me.

Some data points:

03/20/20 - they received my case;
                          07/17/20 - fingerprints were applied;
                          03/29/21 - case was approved.

Also I contacted to a congressman and he asked me to fill the "casework authorization form" so he could inquire on my behalf. It was no longer needed since they approved the application.

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                            I really need some help here. I have applied for travel document in October 2020. I believe it will still take few more months. I now have a green card. My green card was based off of asylum. Can I use my home country (the one I have asylum against) to travel to a third country. Also just curious can American boarder officer ask me why I’m using my home country passport and not the travel document. I’m most certainly not going back to my home country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tadiwa View Post
                              Hey guys I am currently applying for green card as an Asylee and waiting biometrics,however I am in school and I am in need of scholarships I know there are scholarships for us but I have no clue where I can apply for them. May I please get any assistance? Thank you in advance
                              Ask your school for FAFSA and they will tell you what document they need

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby69 View Post
                                Hi Guys,
                                I really need some help here. I have applied for travel document in October 2020. I believe it will still take few more months. I now have a green card. My green card was based off of asylum. Can I use my home country (the one I have asylum against) to travel to a third country. Also just curious can American boarder officer ask me why I’m using my home country passport and not the travel document. I’m most certainly not going back to my home country.
                                What I know is that it will delay your citizenship when you apply for it

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X