Buying a car and Driving Insurance while waiting for approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a car and Driving Insurance while waiting for approval

I am waiting for approval of I-130 and I485. I don't have my EAD yet. Can I buy a car? What kind of documentation do I need?

You may not be able to drive without a driver's license, and you can't get a standardized automobile drivers license, but you should have no trouble acquiring property regardless of your immigration status

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      You may not be able to drive without a driver's license, and you can't get a standardized automobile drivers license, but you should have no trouble acquiring property regardless of your immigration status
      Thank you. I have an unrestricted Canadian drivers license and good driving history. Do you think I will have a problem to get insurance while waiting for AOS on a visitor visa?

Comment

Are you certain you can't get a US state drivers license?

Comment

I am agree with #inadmissible....
          Property Insurance Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
            Are you certain you can't get a US state drivers license?
            I think I can just switch it for a US Florida one, but I will probably need proof of address and a SSN.

So if all that is in place, I won't have an issue?

At what point do you get the SSN?

Comment

You will also need proof of status in the US.
              Not legal advice.

Comment

Once USCIS accept the Adjustment of Status application it provides lawful status to the applicant, so the 797 letter it's proof that you have a pending 485 application. I recently was able to get a drivers license in Texas, they did have to check my status on the SAVE system using the alien number provided on the 797 letter, and it showed that I have legal status.

Comment

Originally posted by Seal72 View Post
                  Once USCIS accept the Adjustment of Status application it provides lawful status to the applicant, so the 797 letter it's proof that you have a pending 485 application. I recently was able to get a drivers license in Texas, they did have to check my status on the SAVE system using the alien number provided on the 797 letter, and it showed that I have legal status.
                  Thank you. How long did it take for your application to be accepted (and have the 797 letter).

Comment

"Pending adjustment of status" is not lawful status. By USCIS administrative policy, persons with a properly filed, pending adjustment of status applications do not accrue unlawful presence. By ICE administrative policy, such persons benefit from an exercise of prosecutoral discretion, and are not subject to removal. But it is not lawful status, and it is up to each state do decide to administratively treat it as if it is lawful status, for the purpose of motor vehicle and professional licensing

I'm glad Texas DMV policy treats it as if it was lawful status, hopefully for OP Florida does the same

Comment

It seems currently Florida accepts the I-797, however as a Canadian, I should be okay with other required documents. Thank you.
                      Last edited by Spiffer; 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

you should have no problem buying car the problem will be getting insurance. if you don't have drivers license you cant get insurance. Most states wont give you drivers license while pending AOS.
                        Marriage Based AOS: USC Married to B2 Visa Holder (Mexico)

AOS Package: I130, I130A, I485, I864EZ

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X