I-693 Medical Exam Expiration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-693 Medical Exam Expiration question

You all probably heard that USCIS updated their policy that the I-693 medical exam is valid for 2 years if signed within 60 days of the application date. This became effective last November 1, 2018. My question is does this policy update apply retroactively, or only to medical exams performed after the policy change? I've read the official bulletins from USCIS and it doesn't say if this applies retroactively. We did the medical exam in February 2018, a week before submitting our application. Our green card interview is in 2 weeks. The medical exam cost us $170 which was the cheapest price in our area. Now they raised the price to $250 because they said there's an additional blood test that is now required. With our modest budget, we'd rather not spend $250 on a new test if it's not mandatory.

Originally posted by NDkingdom View Post
    You all probably heard that USCIS updated their policy that the I-693 medical exam is valid for 2 years if signed within 60 days of the application date. This became effective last November 1, 2018. My question is does this policy update apply retroactively, or only to medical exams performed after the policy change? I've read the official bulletins from USCIS and it doesn't say if this applies retroactively. We did the medical exam in February 2018, a week before submitting our application. Our green card interview is in 2 weeks. The medical exam cost us $170 which was the cheapest price in our area. Now they raised the price to $250 because they said there's an additional blood test that is now required. With our modest budget, we'd rather not spend $250 on a new test if it's not mandatory.
    From my own research, the I-693 is valid for 2-years from the date the surgeon signed it. Did you submit the medical or do you have the sealed envelope with you?
    Applications: I-102, I-485 and I-130

PD: 7/24/17
    Biometrics: 9/2/17
    We are scheduling your interview: 9/5/17 (then updated to March/15/18)
    EAD: October 2017
    I-102 approved on: 7/25/18
    EAD renewal and Advance Parole package received - 12/01/18
    EAD renewal being worked on - 12/05/18
    Interview scheduled notification received! - 2/6/19
    Interview - 3/26/19

Comment

Wow those prices are very good. In my area almost everyone charge $391 and up (some even $600) without the required vaccines, just the physical and blood tests.

According to: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/H...-Chapter4.html
      If the civil surgeon signed the form less than 60 days before submitting with your I-485, even if it was submitted before November 01, 2018, they will last 2 years.

You may print the page if you receive RFE or the officer say they are expired at your interview, so you can explain the policy and validity of your I-693. Good luck.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by igorr View Post

From my own research, the I-693 is valid for 2-years from the date the surgeon signed it. Did you submit the medical or do you have the sealed envelope with you?
        We submitted the sealed envelope with our application, rather than waiting for a RFE. We didn't want our application delayed, and we were hoping that we would have our green card interview before the exam results expired.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
          Wow those prices are very good. In my area almost everyone charge $391 and up (some even $600) without the required vaccines, just the physical and blood tests.

According to: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/H...-Chapter4.html
          If the civil surgeon signed the form less than 60 days before submitting with your I-485, even if it was submitted before November 01, 2018, they will last 2 years.

You may print the page if you receive RFE or the officer say they are expired at your interview, so you can explain the policy and validity of your I-693. Good luck.
          Thank you for the helpful link, now I know for sure that the medical exam applies retroactively and is still valid for 2 years. We called around to several offices to find the cheapest price. Some of them charged around $390. But the office we found for $170 was a real dump, LOL. At least the doctor was qualified and experienced.

Comment

One more question- at the green card interview will we be required to bring a copy of the I-693 medical exam? Or will officer already have it on file? I can't seem to find the copy that the doctor gave us.

Comment

I don't think you have to bring a copy because they already have the original.
              Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
              Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
              Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
              ---
              All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard of a USCIS policy update. As we approach the medical exam, I want to try to learn the nuances that I may encounter. As I read the reviews, something's getting a little scary...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X