Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Certificate RFE

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I got married overseas and obtained a marriage certificate from the church we got married in. I applied for the I-130 petition for my wife in 2018 and we had our local USCIS interview also in 2018. I recently received a letter from the local USCIS office for RFE on the I-130 application I filled out. One of the requests is for a government issued marriage certificate. From what I understood, I thought that USCIS accepts marriage certificates even though they are not government issued from the country we were married in. I have been trying to find where I read this. I could have sworn it was on the USCIS website. Anyway, relatives have been helping us out with getting the government issued marriage certificate. There won't be enough time to send the original copy to USCIS, but I was wondering if it will be a problem that we did not get a government issued marriage certificate from the moment we got married? The marriage certificate will say the date we got married (2017) but the issuing date will be in 2019. Do you think this may be a problem and USCIS will say that we weren't officially married when we sent in the I-130 and I-485 package?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

No it wont be a problem. As long as the marriage dates on both documents match. People lose or damage certificates all the time, you just get a certified copy.
    4-18-18 PD
    4-29-18 Finger Print fee was received
    9-26-18 I-765 and I-131 Approved
    10-02-18 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office (sent to Lawyer) Day 167
    10-03-18 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Day 168
    10-05-18 your case has been scheduled for a interview. Day 170
    11-13-18 Interview
    11-13-18 New card being produced
    11-15-18 I130 and I485 Approved
    11-20-18 Card Mailed

Comment

Originally posted by wizafan0 View Post
      Hello Everyone,

My wife and I got married overseas and obtained a marriage certificate from the church we got married in. I applied for the I-130 petition for my wife in 2018 and we had our local USCIS interview also in 2018. I recently received a letter from the local USCIS office for RFE on the I-130 application I filled out. One of the requests is for a government issued marriage certificate. From what I understood, I thought that USCIS accepts marriage certificates even though they are not government issued from the country we were married in. I have been trying to find where I read this. I could have sworn it was on the USCIS website. Anyway, relatives have been helping us out with getting the government issued marriage certificate. There won't be enough time to send the original copy to USCIS, but I was wondering if it will be a problem that we did not get a government issued marriage certificate from the moment we got married? The marriage certificate will say the date we got married (2017) but the issuing date will be in 2019. Do you think this may be a problem and USCIS will say that we weren't officially married when we sent in the I-130 and I-485 package?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
      Hey did u get approved after submitting civil marriage certificate? I'm going through same . Please help!

Comment

You need to contact the vital records office and discuss the same with them. They will definitely help you in this matter.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X