Adjustment of status Attorney fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment of status Attorney fees

HEY guys. I and my husband married couple of months ago and about to start process for adjustment of status. Since we are not sure what documents to get ready we started looking for attorney to help with the case.
    We just getting quotes that are ina very wide range from $ 1500 to $6000. So I decided to ask the people here who have hired someone to work on their case how much did the attorney charged you. Please share what state too, I guess it makes a difference. Im on the East Coast in DC area.
    Married USC Sept 8, 2019
    Package sent Jan 24, 2020
    Package received at MSC Jan 27, 2020
    NOA for i130, i485, i765, i131 received Feb 10, 2020
    Biometrics done Feb 25, 2020
    Ready to schedule for interview April 20, 2020
    EAD approved June 22, 2020
    EAD received July 13, 2020
    Interview notice issued Jan 6, 2021
    Interview date Feb 10, 2021

hrisilazarova we paid $4,500 plus taxes for the attorney fees and that includes paperworks, mock interviews and they’ll be there on the interview as well. I suggest you go look for good reviews on that attorney/law firm first. Don’t just depend on which is cheaper. Btw, I’m from New Mexico and we filed on July 2019 and our interview will be two weeks from now
    Married to a USC
    AOS from J1
    07/12: AOS Packet was sent to USCIS Lockbox Facility at Chicago, IL.
    07/15: Priority Date
    08/02: Bio Notice
    08/16: Bio Complete
    08/20: Bio Review done
    09/30: Courtesy letter for I-693
    10/09: Ready to be scheduled for interview
    10/10: Interview was scheduled
    10/17: Received notice for interview
    11/21: Interview and Approved/New card is being produced(I-485)
    11/22: Case Approved
    11/26: Card sent
    11/27: Card was picked up by USPS
    11/29: Card on hand

Comment

Originally posted by hrisilazarova View Post
      HEY guys. I and my husband married couple of months ago and about to start process for adjustment of status. Since we are not sure what documents to get ready we started looking for attorney to help with the case.
      We just getting quotes that are ina very wide range from $ 1500 to $6000. So I decided to ask the people here who have hired someone to work on their case how much did the attorney charged you. Please share what state too, I guess it makes a difference. Im on the East Coast in DC area.
      Hi!
      I did it all by myself. I filed my application in May 2019 from Los Angeles, CA and just got my green card in hand, approved on the spot and no help from attorneys. if your case is simple (first time married, no criminal background, no issues with previous visas), I would suggest doing it yourself. It takes a little time and you have to make sure you do everything right, but it's not difficult. You can find tons of information on USCIS website and on the internet. If you fill out the applications while reading the provided instructions, you shouldn't have a problem! It will save you tons of money. I used google drive to collect all my documents there and created my own checklist!

Comment

Originally posted by SweCA2019 View Post

Hi!
        I did it all by myself. I filed my application in May 2019 from Los Angeles, CA and just got my green card in hand, approved on the spot and no help from attorneys. if your case is simple (first time married, no criminal background, no issues with previous visas), I would suggest doing it yourself. It takes a little time and you have to make sure you do everything right, but it's not difficult. You can find tons of information on USCIS website and on the internet. If you fill out the applications while reading the provided instructions, you shouldn't have a problem! It will save you tons of money. I used google drive to collect all my documents there and created my own checklist!
        Not quite simple here. I have many questions that need to be answered before sending the application. And even tvough i know im eligible still wouldnt want to so it without any help from a professional.
        Married USC Sept 8, 2019
        Package sent Jan 24, 2020
        Package received at MSC Jan 27, 2020
        NOA for i130, i485, i765, i131 received Feb 10, 2020
        Biometrics done Feb 25, 2020
        Ready to schedule for interview April 20, 2020
        EAD approved June 22, 2020
        EAD received July 13, 2020
        Interview notice issued Jan 6, 2021
        Interview date Feb 10, 2021

Comment

NYC and I paid a fee of $4750.00. There are two lawyers in the office, both very competent with years of experience which was a plus for me. I did my paper myself before but we were denied because we weren’t adequately prepared. My advice, if you can afford it, pay someone it’s honestly less headache. However do your research on the lawyer and their firm, know how serious they are about you as a client and they’ll be willing to work with you. Good things aren’t usually cheap in my eyes. There are a lot of little agencies that provide help with filling out these form for a cheap rate. This is usually for uncomplicated cases (NB they are not lawyers, so they can only prepare the documents for you and walk you through where to sign, evidences to gather etc) but they can’t attend an interview with you.
          Marriage AOS (from tourist visa)
          Received Nov 4th& Priority Date also Nov 4th
          I130 i485 & work permit (did not apply for travel documents )

Nov 15 received 2 hard copies for NOA
          Nov 22 Received biometrics appointment Notice
          Biometrics done, Dec 2nd.

Jan 6 2020 courtesy letter for missing medical (dated Dec 31 2019, mailed Jan 2nd 2020)
          Ready to be scheduled for interview (Jan 31st 2020)

“Nothing can stop Gods plan for your life” Isaiah 14:27

Comment

Originally posted by Islandgirl93 View Post
            NYC and I paid a fee of $4750.00. There are two lawyers in the office, both very competent with years of experience which was a plus for me. I did my paper myself before but we were denied because we weren’t adequately prepared. My advice, if you can afford it, pay someone it’s honestly less headache. However do your research on the lawyer and their firm, know how serious they are about you as a client and they’ll be willing to work with you. Good things aren’t usually cheap in my eyes. There are a lot of little agencies that provide help with filling out these form for a cheap rate. This is usually for uncomplicated cases (NB they are not lawyers, so they can only prepare the documents for you and walk you through where to sign, evidences to gather etc) but they can’t attend an interview with you.
            This ..
            Marriage based AOS (IR1)
            Field Office : Chicago
            Service Center : NBC
            07/03/19 : RD
            07/13/19 : BIO Notice
            07/24/19 : BIO Complete
            07/26/19 : BIO Review Done
            09/05/19 : Ready to be scheduled for Interview
            10/04/19 : Interview scheduled
            11/13/19 : Interview - Approved
            11/21/19 : GC in Hand
            08/15/21 : ROC Window opens

Comment

Originally posted by Islandgirl93 View Post
              Ditto!

Comment

I am just curious if this "not quite simple" situation is mostly about marriage-based cases, or it's true for any I-485... I'm now trying to apply by myself through EB2-NIW, and for the I-140 petition it was indeed very tricky and I ultimately regretted of not using lawyer's services, but for I-485 it looks very straightforward so I don't understand why they are still charging thousands of bucks - I'm starting to worry that I'm missing something...

Comment

Originally posted by triv View Post
                  I am just curious if this "not quite simple" situation is mostly about marriage-based cases, or it's true for any I-485... I'm now trying to apply by myself through EB2-NIW, and for the I-140 petition it was indeed very tricky and I ultimately regretted of not using lawyer's services, but for I-485 it looks very straightforward so I don't understand why they are still charging thousands of bucks - I'm starting to worry that I'm missing something...
                  I think the lawyer is good to have in case the initial interview does not go well. Better to be represented to be sure. Although my suggestion is to find an excellent lawyer with an affordable fee - $2000 to $3000 is reasonable.

Comment

I paid about $4500 including when he went to the interview with me. (Chicago) And the previous posts are very true. Do your research on the attorney before you hire one. There are a lot of them who will charge you $1500 and tell you you’ll get your gc but in the end they don’t give a damn if you don’t and might have 0 experience... it’s tricky

Comment

NJ here and we paid $4,000
                      AOS (I-485, I-130 & I-765)

11/05/2019 - Package mailed

11/06/2019 - Package received (Chicago Lockbox)

11/14/2019 - Received text message receipts (for the 3 forms)

11/15/2019 - Check cashed

11/18/2019 - Received hard copies of the NOAs (I-797C) for the 3 forms with a notice date of 11/13/2019

Comment

It’s a lot of money but I feel more confident than before. Just work with a lawyer who’s experienced and ask about payment plans etc. my lawyer did a great job compiling and labeling all my evidences. He listed the evidences from A to Z and there was still more evidences so he had to list the others as Aa Bb Cc. Attached is a photo showing how thick the pile is
                        Marriage AOS (from tourist visa)
                        Received Nov 4th& Priority Date also Nov 4th
                        I130 i485 & work permit (did not apply for travel documents )

Nov 15 received 2 hard copies for NOA
                        Nov 22 Received biometrics appointment Notice
                        Biometrics done, Dec 2nd.

Jan 6 2020 courtesy letter for missing medical (dated Dec 31 2019, mailed Jan 2nd 2020)
                        Ready to be scheduled for interview (Jan 31st 2020)

“Nothing can stop Gods plan for your life” Isaiah 14:27

Comment

I’m in San Francisco and paid $3,500 l. Attorney did everything. Also had a mock interview.
                          B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
                          FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
                          4/20/18 Received 4 letters
                          5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
                          5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
                          9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
                          9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
                          9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
                          9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
                          9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
                          2/17/19 Traveled abroad
                          3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
                          3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}