Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance during AOS (Urgent)

Hi,

I have a pending I-485 application. Where can I purchase health insurance for my family (spouse and child) and myself without infringing public charge rule in Massachusetts?

Best

Use your state's health insurance marketplace to buy appropriate private health insurance. You can find your state's insurance marketplace by going to healthcare.gov and clicking "Get Coverage"
    USC married to a Canadian on TN status in San Francisco

06/03/20 - Sent I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 via Priority Mail
    06/05/20 - Receipt Date
    06/18/20 - Check was cashed
    06/18/20 - Text messages with case numbers (~9:30pm Pacific)
    06/22/20 - Notice of Receipts via mail
    07/06/20 - I-693 Courtesy Letter
    08/17/20 - Biometrics Appt Notice for 8/24
    08/28/20 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview!
    10/14/20 - I-765 and I-131 approved
    10/19/20 - EAD/AP issued
    12/01/21 - EAD/AP renewed

Comment

I am adjusting status as well, same sex couple. Married to a USC. In the I-944 I said I don't have health insurance and that I will obtain coverage as soon as I am assigned a social security number, as that's a requirement for all health insurance companies.

Comment

Originally posted by hukim View Post
        Hi,

I have a pending I-485 application. Where can I purchase health insurance for my family (spouse and child) and myself without infringing public charge rule in Massachusetts?

Best
        To add to catparade's answer, the ACA marketplace in Massachusetts is called Health Connector. They currently have a special enrollment period through July 23.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny6751 View Post
          as soon as I am assigned a social security number, as that's a requirement for all health insurance companies.
          That's not always true. For example, many H4 spouses of H1b workers don't have SSNs, but can be added to their spouse's employer health insurance. Answer 5 from IRS says you can just advise a health coverage provider that you don't have an SSN or ITIN. And Healthcare.gov says you can leave SSN blank on its applications if you don't have one.

Comment

Is it easier to wait for health insurance from the state or to get it with the help of an employer? I already have a job offer, and it's my main reason for migrating. HR told me at the interview that they usually provide employees with a full benefits package. But I'm not very familiar with the general rules. Is it possible that the company's petition for my insurance will speed things up? I wouldn't say it's my top priority right now. After all, my only health expense this month was paying for a food intolerance test for my son. But I don't like ambiguity in my status, I want to be calm about my future here.

Comment

To add to catparade's response, the Massachusetts ACA marketplace is known as Health Connector. Up until July 23 they can enrol in special programmes

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X