attorney cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attorney cost

HI I am a US citizen, my spouse is here on F1 visa.

I am looking forward to apply for my spouse AOS and looking to hire an attorney. Today one lawyer/attorney told me $4000. My spouse does not have any criminal history and its our first marriage for both of us. Any one how much does it cost to hire the attorney for AOS. .

Thanks

Here in Ilinois in the suburbs 20 minutes from downtown Chicago, an Immigration attorney could charge $1800 to $3000 (excluding filing fees). A higher end immigration firm Downtown could easily be as much as $6000+ (including filing fees). Please note, the price charged may not be an indicator of quality or customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by immquestion View Post
      HI I am a US citizen, my spouse is here on F1 visa.

I am looking forward to apply for my spouse AOS and looking to hire an attorney. Today one lawyer/attorney told me $4000. My spouse does not have any criminal history and its our first marriage for both of us. Any one how much does it cost to hire the attorney for AOS. .

Thanks
      I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and paying $3200. This does not include filing fees. AOS is family-based, F4.

Comment

I'm in St. Louis and paid around 3000, excluding filing fees.
        Adjusting status from H-1B w/ immigration attorney.
        Forms: I-130/I-485

07/23/2020 - Priority date
        08/06/2020 - Text msgs w/ conf numbers
        08/10/2020 - NOAs in the mail
        12/29/2020 - Bio appt dated 12/12 for 1/8
        01/08/2021 - Bio appt, status changed to fingerprints taken
        01/15/2021 - I-485 ready to schedule interview
        02/08/2021 - Interview was scheduled
        02/13/2021 - Interview notice for 03/18
        03/18/2021 - Interview complete
        03/19/2021 - New card is being produced
        03/22/2021 - Case was approved

Comment

Look into non-profit social service organization in your area. They usually offer cheap or pro-bono services, mostly toward refugees or asylum seekers but may be open to take AOS cases like yours. There was one in my area that charged around $~600 + filing fees in my area a couple of years ago (unfortunately, they just filed for bankruptcy earlier his year for unrelated reason).

In my opinion, if your case is straight forward (first marriage, no kids, no criminal records, no immigration violation, etc.) you can probably save your money and file yourselves. There are a lot of guides out there and with enough research you can get through it without a lawyer.
          F-1 OPT, AOS married to USC
          I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131
          NBC
          FO: Minneapolis, MN
          10/21/19 Official Received and Priority Date
          11/5/19 Text NOA cases received
          11/6/19 Checks cashed out
          11/9/19 Received official I-797C NOAs through mail
          11/18/19 Biometrics letter for 11/26
          12/31/19 RFIE email notification
          1/9/20 RFIE response reviewed
          3/5/20 Ready to be scheduled for interview
          4/27/20 EAD/AP card in production
          12/1/20 Interview scheduled
          1/14/21 Interview, card in production

Comment

Wow! Seeing some of these quotes they’re pretty steep. I’m based in LA and my lawyer charged me I think 1500-2000. This doesn't include filing fees.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think hiring an attorney to fill out the paperwork is necessary. As long as you read the instructions properly and follow them to the letter its not terribly difficult., especially if you don't have anything that might complicate the case. I hired an attorney to look over the forms and evidence (AOS, ROC, and shortly citizenship) and that only cost me $500 per form..

Comment

I filed i130 i485 i944 i864 i765 by myself. Its easy and you can see examples online , forums help a lot as well. In Wisconsin cost about $1800 .. way overpriced for easy case with no criminal records and 1st marriage for both of us so i did it by myself with my
                poor English so I am sure you can do it ???? just read carefully all instructions. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Candy2020 View Post
                  I filed i130 i485 i944 i864 i765 by myself. Its easy and you can see examples online , forums help a lot as well. In Wisconsin cost about $1800 .. way overpriced for easy case with no criminal records and 1st marriage for both of us so i did it by myself with my
                  poor English so I am sure you can do it ???? just read carefully all instructions. Good luck
                  We need to have a co-sponsor for my spouse AOS case and he recommending that go with the attorney. Yes forms are easy

Comment

We need to have a co-sponsor for my spouse AOS case and he recommending that go with the attorney. Yes forms are easy
                    Who is the "he" in that statement?

Just because you need a co-sponsor shouldn't complicate your case to the point you require an attorney (presuming they meet the income requirements).

Comment

Originally posted by longee94 View Post
                      Who is the "he" in that statement?

Just because you need a co-sponsor shouldn't complicate your case to the point you require an attorney (presuming they meet the income requirements).
                      I mean co-sponsor asked us to go with attorney highly recommended to have attorney. he is off the view that filing on your own might complicate the case due to small mistake. etc

Comment

Understandable. See if the co-sponser would be happy to have an attorney review the filling. Having an attorney just review the application is often significantly cheaper than having them complete the packet for you. I have saved over $2,000 doing it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by longee94 View Post
                          Understandable. See if the co-sponser would be happy to have an attorney review the filling. Having an attorney just review the application is often significantly cheaper than having them complete the packet for you. I have saved over $2,000 doing it this way.
                          What about hiring online firms vs attorney? which one would be better

Comment

What about hiring online firms vs attorney? which one would be better
                            Just make sure they are registered with the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Comment

Thanks longee94 How to check that please

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X