Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA Driver License Based on I-797C Receipt Notices

Hello All,

I hope you are doing well. I am Feb. filer, you can see my timeline in the end. My question is my STEM OPT EAD expiring in June 2021 and on the same day my VA Driver's License. I booked an appointment with DMV early January 2021 for May 2021. I did some research and read some experiences over the internet that you can renew your DL with I-797C receipt notices. With my research I have collected the following documents so far:
    1. 4- I-797c Receipt Notices
    2. 2- VA Residency Proofs
    3. 1- Bank Statements
    4. SSN and 1 Old and 1 New EAD.
    5. Passport/I-20 (Someone said online don't show passport/I-20 and ask DMV to take your ALIEN NUMBER and ask them to do a SAVE request)
    6. Birth Certificate.
    7. My home country DL.
    Any inputs on VA DL Renewal will be highly appreciated? Thank you in advance!

AOS Package, On F1 Married to USC; I485, I130, I765, I131 timeline:
    Package delivered to USCIS, via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox 02/04/2021
    Checks cashed and received texts, with receipt #MSC **** **** * 03/08/2021
    4 NOA in mail, with receipt #MSC **** **** * 03/10/2021
    Since March 8, I-485 Status Says: "Fingerprint Fee Was Received"

I don't see how your EAD helps since it's expiring. I don't think I I-485 receipt is accepted.

However, they started offering "Driver Privilege Cards" this year in Virginia, which are identical to other non-REAL-ID Virginia driver's licenses but don't require legal presence documents. You just need to have filed a Virginia tax return in the last year.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I know for CA. They took 797C and gave an extension for 3 months. But I do have to keep on coming again and again every 3 months to extend it until I get Green Card.

Comment

Thank you so much for the valuable info newacct , I will try my luck tomorrow. I gathered all the required docs for DPC and I will mention DMV representative about both the processes and evaluate which process gives me late expiration date.

Thank you aggaayush

I will update this post tomorrow for others who might are in the same condition for DL renewal.

Comment

Update on the VA DMV Appointment, The officer took the following documents:
          1. AOS, I-485: I-797C receipt notice
          2. I-130, I-797C receipt notice
          3. My Current Passport
          4. My SSN
          5. My Current DL
          She sent my documents for secondary inspection to the head office and ask me to wait for 30 minutes. Voila!!!!

DL renewed for another year, newacct I asked her about the DPC, she said don't worry both processes give you the same period of renewal.

Comment

You can most definitively get a Driver's Licence in VA with an I-797 receipt notice, please see below:

USCIS form I-797 displaying the applicant’s name (Depending on the purpose and nature of the form, the I-797 may not be accepted. The I-797 for an I-765 application is not accepted.) -page 2
            This is straight from VA DMV website. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GirlinVA View Post
              You can most definitively get a Driver's Licence in VA with an I-797 receipt notice, please see below:

USCIS form I-797 displaying the applicant’s name (Depending on the purpose and nature of the form, the I-797 may not be accepted. The I-797 for an I-765 application is not accepted.) -page 2
              This is straight from VA DMV website. Good luck!
              They have I-797c (a receipt), not I-797.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

They have I-797c (a receipt), not I-797.
                Please go to the site: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf
                Just FYI, I had copied and paste what was written there.

Comment

My guess is the DMV is talking about I-797c (receipt) even if they have I-797 there. An I-797c for I-485 will be valid to get a license but other I-797c may not be enough to get a license. They specifically say an I-797 for I-765 is not valid, so they should be talking about I-797c.
                  Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
                  Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
                  Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
                  ---
                  All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Enub4 I still got it based of I-485 I-797c

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X