Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOS for mom - covid survivor

Greetings!

USC 21+ here. Recently my parents in India contracted covid with my mom ending up the survivor. She is older and has health issues. She/we do not have a strong enough support system in India(especially for getting her through the whole 485 process). Given, planning to do her AOS stateside when on her visitor visa. I get that’s frowned upon, but given the situation, I’m confused and very anxious. She’s 65+.

Couple of questions

1. I get NIV to AOS is frowned upon, but given the situation, I’m confused and very anxious. She’s 65+. How bad can things get? As in, Can get NIV be revoked?

2. Would you shop health insurance after she lands? What are some good options besides ACA?

3. She doesn’t have a birth certificate(birthday before 1970 -visa reciprocity schedule)Should I try for an NBAC at the local municipality/corporation office?

Any other pointers?

TIA

I think you have to be very careful here.

As you say, coming to the US on a NIV with the intent of filing AOS is a big no no. If the USCIS question your intent, then you'll have to prove that there were no plans to file for AOS before you arrived. It won't help your case if you start shopping around for Health coverage since why would you need health coverage (above your standard travel insurance which I assume you would get) if you weren't planning on staying?

That said, if you are a USC then your mom would be eligible for AOS....just need to follow the process carefully.

The result could jeopardize any future visit to the US
    EB1C (approved I-140)
    Package : I-131, I-485, I-765, I-693
    02/01/21 - Day 0 - sent to Phoenix
    02/02/21 - Day 1 - Delivered - signed by F.Brown
    04/02/21 - Day 60 - NOA Received for I-485, I-131, I-765
    04/02/21 - Day 60 - Transfer to Nebraska
    06/29/21 - Day 147 - Fingerprints Taken
    10/01/21 - Day 242 - EAD/AP Combo Card in hand
    07/07/22 - Day 521 - Transfer to Missouri
    07/13/22 - Day 527 - RFE for new I-693
    08/03/22 - Day 548 - New I-693 sent
    08/22/22 - Day 567 - New Card is being produced!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by twisted-pixel View Post
      I think you have to be very careful here.

As you say, coming to the US on a NIV with the intent of filing AOS is a big no no. If the USCIS question your intent, then you'll have to prove that there were no plans to file for AOS before you arrived. It won't help your case if you start shopping around for Health coverage since why would you need health coverage (above your standard travel insurance which I assume you would get) if you weren't planning on staying?

That said, if you are a USC then your mom would be eligible for AOS....just need to follow the process carefully.

The result could jeopardize any future visit to the US
      Thank you and god bless.
      Last edited by Skks; 10-01-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X