Wife wants to divorce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife wants to divorce.

My wife and I have always had a rocky relationship. Ever since we started dating almost 10 years go. We got married in 2018 and she applied for my GC. I got my GC December 2018.
    We have been arguing a lot about money and she wants to call it quits. She says she

Did you obtain a permanent or temporary green card ?

Comment

A 2 year one.

Comment

Your post was cut off. What is your question?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I’m sorry I didn’t know it was cut off.
          Well she wants to call it quits and is willing to peacefully end this without anything that may hurt us. We only have a house and a car that is on our name. Would it hurt me when I get to renew my GC?

Comment

Originally posted by Emt View Post
            I’m sorry I didn’t know it was cut off.
            Well she wants to call it quits and is willing to peacefully end this without anything that may hurt us. We only have a house and a car that is on our name. Would it hurt me when I get to renew my GC?
            Once your divorce is final, you can file for Removal of Conditions by yourself on the basis of divorce. Start gathering evidence of bona fide marriage now.

Comment

So we signed the divorce papers and we’re just waiting for the final decree. My GC expires in December 2020 so I think I’ll wait closer to next year to reapply. My ex-wife and I were together for almost 10 years but married for almost 2 years. We had a rocky relationship along the road but we love and care for each other.
              What kind of evidence I need for bona fide is useful? Most of the info we had that proved that was already filed when we submitted the application. That’s probably why we were only at the interview for like 5-10 mins and approval that same day.
              Only thing is new is the tax forms where we filed joint this year. We bought a house before we got married but it’s on her name, the utilities are on both of our names though, but again that was submitted the first time we filed.
              Last edited by Emt; 06-08-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Divorce was finalized but I’m currently in school and don’t have much money to renew. My greencard expires December 2020 and I will be done with school this December. My ex wife said she will support me in any documentation needed for renewal. What should I do next? Wait till it’s closer to expiration date and when I can pay for everything? I will be making very good money after I’m done with school and I was making very good money before I started school.

Comment

Hello EMt. Im so sorry to hear about your situation. I am experiencing a same situation as you. I got my divorce before my 2 year expiration, my ex wife decided to leave me. Right now they gave me a 18 month extension till the finalization of divorce which occurred last year. Still my lawyer insisted that we have to wait before showing the decree. All I can say its that you have to wait and hope that everything works for the best. I am currently attending college and graduate in December. Let us know how everything works out for ya

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo1 View Post
                    Hello EMt. Im so sorry to hear about your situation. I am experiencing a same situation as you. I got my divorce before my 2 year expiration, my ex wife decided to leave me. Right now they gave me a 18 month extension till the finalization of divorce which occurred last year. Still my lawyer insisted that we have to wait before showing the decree. All I can say its that you have to wait and hope that everything works for the best. I am currently attending college and graduate in December. Let us know how everything works out for ya
                    Thank you. I got my final decree and I don’t have money to renew at the moment. I want to wait till I have the money to pay for it and to show proof that I can sustain myself. I’ll be an RN by the end of the year so I kinda want to wait till July of next year so I can show proof of my higher income, insurance and a degree. That way the government doesn’t think I want to live off them.

Comment

Thank you. I got my final decree and I don’t have money to renew at the moment. I want to wait till I have the money to pay for it and to show proof that I can sustain myself. I’ll be an RN by the end of the year so I kinda want to wait till July of next year so I can show proof of my higher income, insurance and a degree. That way the government doesn’t think I want to live off them.
                      You don't need to show proof you can sustain yourself. Income, ability to support yourself, insurance, all of that are irrelevant for Removal of Conditions. The only thing that matters is that your marriage was bona fide.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

You don't need to show proof you can sustain yourself. Income, ability to support yourself, insurance, all of that are irrelevant for Removal of Conditions. The only thing that matters is that your marriage was bona fide.
                        I’m not really worried about the bona fide proof because we were together for years and we were living together before we got married. We have been on and off for almost 10 years.

Comment

I’m not really worried about the bona fide proof because we were together for years and we were living together before we got married. We have been on and off for almost 10 years.
                          Then there's no reason not to file Removal of Conditions ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

Then there's no reason not to file Removal of Conditions ASAP.
                            There is a huge reason, I’m in college and I don’t make enough to pay for my bills and tuition. So I was gonna wait till I graduate.

Comment

There is a huge reason, I’m in college and I don’t make enough to pay for my bills and tuition. So I was gonna wait till I graduate.
                              Not making enough isn't an issue for Removal of Conditions. It seems like your only issue is the I-751 fee of $680. You can try to request a fee waiver with I-912 if you are unable to pay.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X