X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i get a re-entry permit

my green card was issued in sep18
    first visit: sep18, returned to my native in oct18
    second visit: dec18, returned mar,19 (got my SS, driving licence, bank account)

i am now planning to visit in sep19 & return in nov19

how do i prevent/avoid my back & forth travel.
    *i want to settle in usa only in 2020. *

on my 3rd visit, will apply for a re-entry permit, so after i return to my native country, CAN abstain for about 12-15 months. (i MAY revisit usa even before 6 months...)

1. will getting a re-entry permit help (please elaborate HOW it helps)
    2. will getting a re-entry permit facilitate entry (am aware, entry is not assured - even with a re-entry permit)
    3. what if i revisit after a lapse of 14-15 months WITHOUT a re-entry permit
    4. IF EVEN A RE-ENTRY PERMIT DOES NOT ENSURE ENTRY, WHY DO PEOPLE STILL APPLY FOR IT.

btw: my daughter (with GC) is still there since sep18. not not left usa since.

also, my 3rd visit is for about 2 months. is it sufficient time to apply & *receive in hand* the re-entry permit. (NJ)

tia

someone...anyone...

also, after my biometrics, can i depart for my native country & get the re-entry permit couriered to me (obviously, by my people, not the usa govt.)

Comment

Originally posted by auditorpnine View Post
      someone...anyone...

also, after my biometrics, can i depart for my native country & get the re-entry permit couriered to me (obviously, by my people, not the usa govt.)
      I think you need to stay in the USA until you get the re-entry permit on hand, but not sure.

Edit: Sorry, wrong information, thank you newacct
      Last edited by Enub4; 06-27-2019, 07:00 PM.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

You don't need to stay in the US while your application for a Re-entry Permit is pending. In fact, you can choose on the application form to have the Re-entry Permit be delivered to a specific US consulate for you to pick up after it is approved.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

please ALSO reply to these:

1. will getting a re-entry permit help (please elaborate HOW it helps)
          2. will getting a re-entry permit facilitate entry (am aware, entry is not assured - even with a re-entry permit)
          3. what if i revisit after a lapse of 14-15 months WITHOUT a re-entry permit
          4. IF EVEN A RE-ENTRY PERMIT DOES NOT ENSURE ENTRY, WHY DO PEOPLE STILL APPLY FOR IT.

btw: my daughter (with GC) is still there since sep18. not not left usa since.

also, my 3rd visit is for about 2 months. is it sufficient time to apply & *receive in hand* the re-entry permit. (NJ)

Comment

1.- helps because you can be outside the USA for more than 1 year legally (if in the future you want citizenship this is very important)
            2.- helps because if you are more than 6 months outside the USA the officer will not question you the same as without the re-entry permit
            3.- I have read that some times the POE officer will try people to surrender their green card by telling that you must give them the GC and sign some documents
            4.- the same for visas, ESTA, etc. to follow the rules. If you plan to stay more than 1 year and less than 2 outside the USA you must apply for the re-entry permit.

I don't know if you can get a re-entry permit in only 2 months, my guess is: no, unless there is a way to expedite the process.
            ---
            All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

More information about the permit:
              https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/B5en.pdf

It looks like the cost is $660 (form and biometrics) and you need to go to biometrics in the USA after applying, then you can travel.
              Last edited by Enub4; 06-28-2019, 10:22 AM.
              ---

Comment

for re-entry permit:
                typically, how many days to get a biometric appointment (nj)
                -could i then leave usa, AFTER the biometric upon requesting them to forward my re-entry permit to the usa consulate in my native city.

-if i revisit (with permit) after about a year, would my reason for absence 'to terminate my existing business & assist all my clients in migrating to a different tax software -from my existing software they were relying on-' be generally acceptable to the immigrant officer.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X