Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near expired/lost (2 years) green card

Hi folks,

I have a lot of questions. I've been reading about it but I would really appreciate if you guys could answer this for me as I would feel more secure in the process.

So I got my 2 years GreenCard through marriage and it will expire on 2/6/2020 (about 4 months from now). I was getting ready to file for the 10 years green card and I noticed I lost my card.

I took care of my card so well that I think I hide really well inside my house, but there is a chance I lost it outside.

My questions are:
    1. Should I file a police report? Is there a specific form I have to file for this?
    2. Can I file for getting the 10 years green card without my current 2 years green card in hands? (I am still married to the same person).
    3. Or do I have to file to get a replacement card before filling for my 10 years one?
    4. In each case, what are the forms I have to file?

I would rather file for the 10 years one and forget about the 2 years one....
    If you guys have information about the fees included with replacement lost card or getting the 10 year one it would be really appreciated too.

Thank you guys!

1. You should file a police report if it was stolen. Looks like you just lost it so no need to file any report.
    2. Yes, you can file for ROC without your current green card. You definitely need a copy of that green card though during the filing of the application.
    3. Sometimes an ROC takes a long time (for interview process). So I recommend you first call USCIS and schedule an appointment so they can stamp I-551 at your local office. This is important as a green card is also your travel document and proof of legal status
    4. If you need a replacement green card, just file form I-90
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you very much!

I just got off the phone call with USCIS and they confirmed what you said.

I-90 - for replacement of lost card (not necessary, unless you want it)
      I-751 - file 90 days before you card expires (not before), for getting the 10 year card (takes up to 18 months)
      I-551 - after filling I-751 you can USCIS and get a I-551 Stamp to be able to travel.

Does that sound correct?
      Thank you so much again!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X