Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-divorce on marriage-based greencard

Hi there

so I came here on marriage-based green card with the 2-year conditional. As a married couple, our intentions were genuine as was our marriage and, at the time, love. Within 6 months however, my wife cheated and I filed divorce. I have to file for the 10-year renewable in March 2020, and I plan to be totally open and honest of course. I have read mixed things however on whether or not I have to contact USCIS before then to declare the divorce or just simply file as I would in March with all the evidence of divorce and explanation. If I get an interview I will happily and truthfully share the full story. Should I be assuming I should be able to get the 10-year renewable? We did not divorce on bad grounds, we did a simple and quick “uncontested” divorce because we already had a settlement agreement and no children.

You do not need to contact USCIS. You would file for Removal of Conditions by yourself on the basis of divorce, either when the divorce is final, or when your 2-year card expires, whichever is first. If your marriage was genuine, you should be able to get conditions removed.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks so much! Throughout our few months of married life in the US, I have the following evidence -
      • Apartment lease with both names
      • medical and dental insurance for my wife covered by me
      • Renters Insurance with both names
      • Transfers via our bank accounts
      • federal and state tax return
      Should this suffice?

Comment

Hi there, do you have any updates on your case?

Comment

Hi
          Sometime in February I went to have my fingerprints taken. Since then, no updates at all. I know my case is being processed at the NBC. I am hoping and praying that I will be granted the 10-year card; my wife basically abandoned her marriage; stayed away from home and started doing weed and having an affair with another guy, hiding messages etc...I included in my paperwork a statement by myself, proof that I had her on my medical/dental insurance at work, proof that we had joint renters insurance, joint tenancy agreement, bank account transactions to and from each other, some messages between her and myself during the separation etc. I have been a good person since arriving here, I have worked hard, paid my taxes, made friends and family; it would kill me to loose my immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by smp17 View Post
            Hi
            Sometime in February I went to have my fingerprints taken. Since then, no updates at all. I know my case is being processed at the NBC. I am hoping and praying that I will be granted the 10-year card; my wife basically abandoned her marriage; stayed away from home and started doing weed and having an affair with another guy, hiding messages etc...I included in my paperwork a statement by myself, proof that I had her on my medical/dental insurance at work, proof that we had joint renters insurance, joint tenancy agreement, bank account transactions to and from each other, some messages between her and myself during the separation etc. I have been a good person since arriving here, I have worked hard, paid my taxes, made friends and family; it would kill me to loose my immigration.
            Unfortunately, if the marriage has been terminated, you are no longer eligible for a green card and the I485 will be denied.

Comment

Originally posted by longee94 View Post

Unfortunately, if the marriage has been terminated, you are no longer eligible for a green card and the I485 will be denied.
              The OP is not doing I-485. The OP already has a green card.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X