Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing California driver's license after getting the green card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing California driver's license after getting the green card?

I just got my green card yesterday in the mail. My California driver's license is expiring in March 2020 because I got it with my EAD card. Do I need to bring my green card, SSN and proof of address to DMV in person to renew my driver's license?

Correct.

Comment

You don't need to renew it before it expires. Before it expires, you can either renew it by mail by sending a copy of your green card in response to their limited term license renewal notice, although this way you will get a non-REAL-ID driver's license if your current one is non-REAL-ID, or you can go in person to apply for a new REAL ID driver's license with all the proofs from scratch.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

That's correct, usually after your first in-person application for a driver's license, you won't have to return in person to renew the card. You may renew it via mail. Since each US state has slightly different procedures for drivers licenses you should take a look at their website before spending the time going there.
        --Good luck--
        Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X